Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cleaned my filter for the first time.

1. Back To Top    #1

Cleaned my filter for the first time.

We have a cartridge filter. This is our 7th summer with the pool. We always have PB open and close and they clean the filter. Since my filter is oversized, the pressure has never gone up enough to need a cleaning in the summer before. Well, this time it did. Probably because the filters are now over 6 years old. Since it is 9/14 and our appointment to close the pool is 10/15 (later than what I'd like, but we called late. I'm not letting anyone other than this company that I trust touch my pool.)

Anyway, we decided that we'd better clean the filter. Got a small bore hose nozzle, a new trash can, and a bottle of Dawn. Cleaned a LOT of gunk out of the pleats and then let the filters soak in a solution of 2.5 cups of Dawn, 15 gallons of water. Took the filters out and set about rinsing them.

After 45 minutes of rinsing with soap still coming out, we got cold and tired and decided to pick up where we left off tomorrow. The amount of soap is definitely decreasing, but it's still there.

What's other peoples' experience on how long you need to rinse. Did we do something wrong, or do we just need to keep at it.

I have to say, as a once every 7 years chore, this was kind of fun. Seeing all that gunk in the filter and then getting it out. Except for the lingering soap issue.
    19,000 gallons, Well Water
    Stay-Rite System 3 Cartridge filter
    IG vinyl, MasterTemp 400 Propane heater
    Intellichlor 40 SWG, 2006 Taylor Test Kit with Speed Stirrer
    1.5 HP Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

In the Industry

Re: Cleaned my filter for the first time.

Normal PC's would take your cartridges back to their store, one day soak in a mild acid bath followed by a half day in an alkaline bath. Then they are pressure washed off. Or you can use a simple weak degreaser and a good garden hose on jet spray. I fear your use of dish soap just means a lot if extra rinsing til all the soap residue is gone. Remember, the actual color of your cartridges is meaningless, holes or cuts are the more important factor.

3. Back To Top    #3

I just sit my cartridges on the lawn and, using a hose with an adjustable nozzle, wash out each pleat starting at the top and working down. You may find you also need to wash out the pleats on the inside of the cartridge. No dish soap used, just plain water, and this method has worked well for me.
    Cheers, Peter
    20,000 gal, 52'x17' kidney shaped IG, Pebble Tec, IntelliPro P6E6VS4H-209L pump. Intellichlor IC40 SWG.
    300 sf Sta-Rite System 3 cartridge filter. Poolvergnuegen 4-wheel suction pool cleaner. TF-100 test kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by prs View Post
    I just sit my cartridges on the lawn and, using a hose with an adjustable nozzle, wash out each pleat starting at the top and working down. You may find you also need to wash out the pleats on the inside of the cartridge. No dish soap used, just plain water, and this method has worked well for me.
    __ +1 ___
    23' x 37' IG 18.5k gallon SWG w/ raised spa, Build Thread -->Here
    Wet Edge® Pearl Matrix®, Hayward® SwimClear™ 525 ft², Hayward® Goldline Controls® PS-8
    4x Hayward® TriStar™ pumps, Paramount PCC2000® ICS, TF-100 w/Speedstir

5. Back To Top    #5

My filters are much smaller since it's a spa filter (pool is sand filter), but I've found dishwasher soap works very well and rinses off easily. Mine fits in a 5 gallon bucket so 5 gallons of water and a standard dishwasher load size scoop. Soak overnight and rinse.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons