NEWBIE Chlorine frustration

h2ctpdjl

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 12, 2008
Indiana
I left my pool store and switched to BBB last month. I am having difficulty maintaining any kind of steady FC level and hope someone can perhaps enlighten me? I have the TF 100 for testing.(7pm)
Last night's readings (7pm):
FC - 7.5
CC - .5
TC - 8
pH - 7.5
T/A - 140
CH - Didn't take
CYA - 60

Readings from 9am this morning:
FC - 5.5
CC - .5
TC - 6
pH - 7.5
T/A - 170
CH - 370
CYA - 60

A little history: I started out w/CYA of over 100 about a month ago. Did partial drains and fills to get it down to 60. T/A was originally around 240. I have no means of aeration, though I tried multiple things to no avail. Eventually, the pH raised on its own so I could add Muratic Acid on two different occassions, resulting in a final T/A of 140-170. I had 6 children splashing and sliding into the pool on Sunday, but it failed to raise the pH so I could again use Muratic Acid.

My current problem is having to add so much Bleach to the pool on a daily basis. I am averaging 1.5 gals a day. I use the Chlorine/CYA chart and try to keep the FC level at the recommended Target rate of 7. Last night after the tests, I closed the cover on the pool, opened this morning to re-test. I dont understand how I can lose 2ppm of FC just overnight. By the end of the day, I will more than likely be down to around 3-4ppm.
Is this a normal situation? Is there anything else I can do? I have read several posts from members who only have to add a cup or two each day to maintain their desired levels. I realize my CYA is still high, but why can't I maintain the proper level with less bleach? It is very hot and humid here in Indiana (90s) and my pool gets full sun until 6pm. I can keep the cover closed, but it tends to heat up the water. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

test. I dont understand how I can lose 2ppm of FC just overnight.
Chlorine is consumed by only two things....Sunlight and organics in your pool.

Since you eliminated the sun from your testing, there is nothing left but organics (algae)

I Suggest you shock the pool and kill the remaining algae. That will slow your chlorine loss to somewhere around 2-3ppm daily which is what most of us experience.

I add 182 oz of bleach a day to keep my chlorine levels up. My pool gets full afternoon sun. I expect this to go down as the temperature cools,

The amount you add per day is not unusual. Last year I was having all sorts of problems, the pool never looked clear and we average around $25-$30 per week in chemicals. This year we add one bottle of bleach a day at $2.54 per day. A huge savings

I agree with Dave losing 2ppm overnight indicates organics consuming the chlorine. My pool is full sun and I don't lose 2ppm during the DAY....My pool is not that much smaller than yours and I'm using 1/3 the daily amount of bleach that you are. Sounds to me like you are just staying ahead of an algae bloom, and any time below minimum you'll see your water get hazy or green. I recommend you shock your pool, overnight shock levels for one night oughta do it.

I do need to clarify - my pool is about 4000 gallons more than yours. I do not lose ppm at night. but I do during the day. My CYA is low, probably could stand to be raised some, but adding it jug a day is easier.

Also my pool loves algae, I think it tries to throw parties every day for it. So I keep the chlorine higher than mid-range.

ok, so its safe to assume i may be just a step ahead of algae? My pool water is perfectly clear and sparkling though. That is why i never suspected it, though i figured something may be up. However, according to the Chlorine/CYA chart, my shock level will be 24. Thats a LOT of bleach, I will do it if that is what is needed. Just add it tonight and that's it? With that much bleach, I am assuming it would be best to leave the cover off tonight?

h2ctpdjl said:
ok, so its safe to assume i may be just a step ahead of algae? My pool water is perfectly clear and sparkling though. That is why i never suspected it, though i figured something may be up. However, according to the Chlorine/CYA chart, my shock level will be 24. Thats a LOT of bleach, I will do it if that is what is needed. Just add it tonight and that's it? With that much bleach, I am assuming it would be best to leave the cover off tonight?

Yes, sometimes your testing will reveal a looming algae bloom....before the water shows the visible signs. Up to you about the cover. I shock with my cover on, always have, never had a problem. In fact, if you have any "ickies" in the crevices and such of the cover, having it on while shocking may clean it up a bit, prevent future issues....

Add the bleach tonight. Wait 30-60 minutes....test and record your result. In the morning, test again, and compare the two results. If you lose less than 1ppm, your probably good to go....

OK, I have my shock level at 24, as indicated by the Chlorine/CYA Chart. Even though the water looks good, I brushed the walls and bottom. I have the automatic cover closed. Should I let the pool pump/filter run all night?

YIKES! My chlorine level dropped from 24 to just 13 by 9am this morning. I can also see a bit of gray powdery stuff along the bottom edges of the pool. You guys were right.... there was definitely something "lurking" in my water. Should I bring my shock level back up again and keep it there until there is no overnight loss? Never had algae before. I also went out and bought liguid chlorine (10%) this time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
h2ctpdjl said:
YIKES! My chlorine level dropped from 24 to just 13 by 9am this morning. I can also see a bit of gray powdery stuff along the bottom edges of the pool. You guys were right.... there was definitely something "lurking" in my water. Should I bring my shock level back up again and keep it there until there is no overnight loss? Never had algae before. I also went out and bought liguid chlorine (10%) this time.

Yes, keep your shock level up. Tonight test your FC level after dark. Retest in the morning and compare the two results....when the FC holds overnight and your CC is .5 or less, the algae should be dead you can let FC return to normal levels.

Pool didnt take much in the way of bleach to get it straightened out.... thanks bunches. pool was beautiful and sparkly by the 15th. Keeping my automatic cover closed to the sunlight during the day helped retain my shock level. I was using Kmart brand bleach and the chlorine percentage is NOT indicated on the label. I just assumed it was 6%, but after adding it to the water based on the pool calculator and re-testing to find out I was still not reaching the shock level, I decided the kmart brand of bleach had to go, as it more than likely was not 6%. I decided to do the switcharoo to liguid chlorine. There was very little evidence of algae but as indicated in the forums, brushed, brushed, brushed and brushed some more, just to be safe. Also soaked the bag on my automatic pool cleaner in bleach water. Since I did lots of backwashing, I decided to go ahead and do another partial drain after getting the water straightened out. My CYA is between 60-70. However, this time the CYA did not lower. My pH is still 7.5, my T/A remains high at 160. My FC is still high, but slowly coming down each day. Before I shocked, I couldnt maintain a normal level of CL in the pool. Now, it is "hanging on" a lot longer. THANKS EVERYONE!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.