Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: bleach question

1. Back To Top    #1

Lake Jackson,Tx. 45 miles south of Houston

bleach question

When I go to the poolmath page it is asking for % bleach. I don't find that info anywhere on the bottle. How can I tell?

I bought Clorox splash-less regular in a 116 oz. bottle
    13,500 gallon pool without a spa Inground
    Pool built by previous owner in 1995 but replasterd in 2008
    DE filter (pentair FNS plus 48,Challenger 3/4 hp pump,In line chlorinator (switching to liquid bleach)
    Using TF-100 pool testing kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: bleach question

Look for % sodium hypochlorite on the label. Most grocery store bleach is 8.5%.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

Don't use the splashless version or any special versions with scents or additives. Just plain bleach.
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

4. Back To Top    #4

Do NOT use splash less bleach!! You need to use plain bleach. No additives, fragrances, splash less, etc.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

^^^beat you!
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

6. Back To Top    #6

Make sure that the bleach says "Regular" and "Sodium Hypochlorite.....8.25%".

7. Back To Top    #7

To either add to the confusion or to make things more clear:

Most regular bleach used to be 6%
    The newer, so-called concentrated ones are 8.25%
    Most chlorination liquids for pool use are still bleach but 10% with a few at 12%
    Try to buy bleach at a store that has high turnover as bleach uses strength over time
    Also try and buy it from a store that does not keep it outside as temps weaken it too

Other than that try and buy the one that is the lowest cost per ounce, bleach is bleach
    10000 Gal, IG Pebbletec, pop up cleaners,Hayward EcoStar VS, 425 sq ft Hayward Cartridge, waterfall feature

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by bponb View Post
    When I go to the poolmath page it is asking for % bleach. I don't find that info anywhere on the bottle. How can I tell?

I bought Clorox splash-less regular in a 116 oz. bottle
    If we're too late and you already added the splashless... the suds will go away in a few days, after you switch to the plain stuff.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

Lol I accidentally added splashless a few weeks ago after my husband brought it home on accident. Splashless Clorox is not a pool sanitizer. If you add it, you will have soapy bubbles for a few days. You need to buy unscented 8% bleach...typically generic store brand is $3/gallon.
    17,000 inground gunite pool finished June 2013. Pentair variable speed something or another. Polaris cleaner, inline rainbow chlorinator. Using trichlor until CYA reaches 50-60.

10. Back To Top    #10

I have seen some "splashless" that is just plain bleach in a newly designed jug that reduces the "glug, glug, glug" that splashes. Just more confusion as to what is plain bleach.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

11. Back To Top    #11

Most 8.25% bleach doesn't come in gallon bottles, but 121 oz.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    I have seen some "splashless" that is just plain bleach in a newly designed jug that reduces the "glug, glug, glug" that splashes. Just more confusion as to what is plain bleach.
    Clorox splashless bleach has thickeners in it that will cause foaming in the swimming pool. So it's safest just to avoid all splashless unless one is sure of the contents.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"