Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Waste to have variable?

1. Back To Top    #1

Waste to have variable?

Please help this new pool owner! I bought a house with a 36,000 gallon pool which is approx 15 yr old. The 1.5 HP Hayward Super II pump developed a leak 2 months ago and it's getting worse. The pool is being replastered now and I'd like to upgrade the equipment if they are affordable. Please give let me know my best options. I will post more info about the pool if needed. Thanks in advance!

Existing pump: Super II 1.5 HP
    Rebates from utility: both Hayward SP2600VSP Super Pump VS & SP2300VSP Max-Flo VS have $100
    Other pump: new Zodiac PB4-60Q booster pump for sweep
    Pool: 15 yr Anthony pool
    Plumbing 1.5"
    Distance: Don't how to calculate. The shortest distance from the current pump to the edge of the pool is about 12 ft
    Automation: Old Anthony panel with 'Antho Touch'
    Additional equipment: sand filter, SPA, old Anthony heater, Single Story Solar with 6 large panels.
    Climate: 30F to 95F
    Duration of ownership: 2 yrs (tentative plan to move after retirement in 2 yrs)
    Owner capability: I can do whole house remodeling, including concrete, electrical, gas, & plumbing. Almost completely ignorant about pools.
    Preference: lower overall cost but worth the extra if less noise, longer to recuperate cost

PLEASE help! One pool company told me that variable speed will be huge saving in just 1yr and it will be much quieter. The tech from another company said not to bother, just try resealing the shaft of old pump. I'm so confused.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Waste to have variable?

Welcome to the forum!

The savings on variable speed pumps are usually way overstated (unless you live in a part of the country with really high electricity rates). Usually a two speed pump is a better value proposition.

That being said, it may be a better deal to fix the old pump. Can you either post pictures or give a better description of the leak? What condition is the rest of the pump?
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by ignorance View Post
    PLEASE help! One pool company told me that variable speed will be huge saving in just 1yr and it will be much quieter. The tech from another company said not to bother, just try resealing the shaft of old pump. I'm so confused.
    I'm liking the "tech from another company".

You say you can do plumbing and electric - so you CAN do pools. Just don't try to overthink it.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the quick reply! The utility company only offers $100 rebate for variable pumps & no 2 speed pumps were offered. With the prices at Amazon, it looks like variable speed costs roughly the same as 2 speeds after the rebate. I think the price of electricity here is probably medium. With the tiered system, I'm not sure and guess it as average of $0.24 per KW.
    I can't tell where the leak is coming from. It was dry on top and the sides and wet on the bottom. The pump is not running as the pool being replastered with no water. I've attached an old picture when it first leaked. It was much worse before the pool was emptied for replastering.
    photo.JPG

5. Back To Top    #5

Tim5055,
    I think I can handle the mechanics of the changing/repairing but need help with what to change or buy.

6. Back To Top    #6

Since I'm not sure if the old Super II can be easily repaired, I may have to bite the bullet and buy a new one. With the rebate, the variable speeds are not much more than the 2 speeds. Please advise if I should get the Hayward SP2600VSP Super Pump VS & SP2300VSP Max-Flo VS. The Super cost $40 more but it looks like my old pump. It may be easier to install. Please advise. Thanks!

7. Back To Top    #7

Waste to have variable?

Did you say that you plan to retire and move in 2yrs?

If so, there's no way you'll recoup the cost of the pump or anything else you add to it. Pools do not add much if anything to property values; at best they enhance sellability if other houses in you real estate comps have pools too. So don't get taken in by the tales people tell about homes with pools getting more money. In some cases, pools can be a deterrent.

So back to the point about retiring - my advice would be fix what you have there for minimal cost and let the next owner deal with upgrades.

8. Back To Top    #8

Your profile says you're from Northern California? I live about 30 miles east of SF and was regularly hitting $300 a month in PGE costs. My old pump was a sta-rite 1.5hp max e-pro. I switched just the motor to a variable speed pump and my PGE is now around $150 per month.