Florida New Build - Pool, Spa, Fireplace

txnole

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 18, 2014
Amelia Island, FL
Hello, fellow TFP members. Thank you all for your input and advice over the past month. We are reviewing the contract with our PB and wanted to get your input on the final design/proposal before we sign.

The final design is for a screen-enclosed pool with elevated beam wall, elevated spa, and an integrated fire pit. The size is a bit dictated by our yard footprint and some HOA requirements for easements, etc. Any suggestions on the following equipment or design? Have I overlooked anything?

Thanks in advance for your feedback. I will update this thread with any revisions and (fingers crossed) build photos as we go! :thumleft:

image.jpg

image.jpg

Proposal/Specs:

Pool Size: 15’ x 29’
Depth: 3’-6” to 6’-0”
Shell: Concrete shell Steel Reinforced with 8” Bond Beam
w/ #3 rebar on 12” x 12” structurally engineered grid.
Raised Beam: 18” x 25’ long raised beam section on back wall w/ stone veneer finish & 3ft
“Sheer Descent” waterfall.
Steps: Three (3)
Swim-out: One (1) in deep-end (per code).
Tile: 6”x 6” frost proof waterline tile.
Interior: Natural Pebble Finish. Sun Stone Pearl / Crystal Stone.
Light: 1 L.E.D. color changing light. (Pool)
Pump: Pentair Variable Speed (Energy Efficient) High performance pump/motor.
Pump# 2: Pentair ¾ hp pump/motor for water features.
Filter System: Pentair 200 sq ft. cartridge filter.
Cleaner: REPLACED with Dolphin z5
Salt System: Pentair IC-40 salt generator system w freeze protection.
Controller: Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless remote controller actuator valves.
Auto Discharge: Automatic water overflow discharge system. (N/C)
Returns: Four (4)
Main Drains: Two (2) 8” sump main drains w/ VGB approved safety frame & grate.
Skimmer: One (U3) beam skimmer, to remove floating debris.

Spa: 5’ x 7’, raised 18” with attached FIRE PIT, 400,000 btu gas heater
(Gas tank and gas hook-up by owners Gas Co.) 1 L.E.D. color changing light,
1 hp quite blower, 4 hydro therapy jets, solar blanket, dbl brick paver
Bull nose coping on spa beam and fire pit beam, outer wall of spa and fire pit
to receive stone veneer finish.

Decking: 739 sq ft brick paver pool decking & 206 sq ft brick paver lanai decking.
Footer: 69 Ln ft concrete/steel footer (Required for screen enclosure)
Screen Encl.: 26’ x 51-6”’ x 13’ tall (Full Mansard Design) w/ 10’ vertical walls, gutters, down
spouts, 2 doors and 2 “doggy” doors
Electrical: Included. (Also, includes structural bonding of pool).
Price also includes electrical hook-up for future heat pump.
Permits: Yes: County or City (as required).
Pool School: Training of home owner at their new pool to show proper techniques
on running equipment, checking chemicals, and storage of chemicals,
Start-up chemicals and up to two weeks of pool maintenance.

Warranty: 3 years against original defects of Pentair equipment. (Parts & Labor)
1 year against defects of material or workmanship on pool.(Parts & Labor)
Lifetime on shell –to the original owner (Material & Labor)
Lifetime on (Pebble) interior finish (Material & Labor)

The plans look great and I'm sure you will love the finished product!!! I'm just thinking out loud here....

By my figures you have about a 15,000 gallon pool there with a 40,000 gallon SWCG. Oversize it the way to go so that it does not have to work 100% all of the time to keep up. You are in North FL, heck if you stumble backwards you might fall in GA but near the coast so you will have a bit of sun, but shaded by the screen enclosure.

I think I would want a large sand filter rather than a cartridge, but maybe that's just me.

I'm also not a fan of suction side cleaners, I much prefer a pressure side cleaner with a booster pump or a robot.

Can't wait to see this one! Not too many builds on here in FL, and WITH screen enclosures. There are only two others FL pools on here been built in the past year w/ screen enclosures on this board that I am aware of. I'll see if I can post links to them. Both had mansard bronze color screen enclosures. What color aluminum are you going with, bronze or white?

I haven't found much on the subject myself, but what are the benefits to mansard style screen enclosures, as opposed to gabled? (asides aesthetics?) I've always wondered if the two had different wind load ratings? I'm partial to mansards myself.

Looks like a good plan. You'll like the swimout, we have 3 and people sit on them and kids stand on them all the time. We're happy with our cartridge filter, but have never had sand to compare. I would think cartridge would be even better in a screen enclosure than outside since there will be so much less debris in the pool.

Couple of points.

You only need 2 pumps if you are going to run the water features at the same time you will run the spa. If not the single vs is sufficient. I too prefer pressure side cleaners or robots. If you get a polaris 360 it works great on a vs without a booster pump. Additionally, cartridge filters produce marginally cleaner pools. If you are doing a lot of swimming at night you can see the difference.

Hi, neighbor, now would be a good time to pre plumb for summer kitchen. Don't forget electrical in every corner and water inside and outside of the screen enclosure. Pre wire for speakers too. Look at our build in the sig bar:p

Minimonster - Thanks! A lot of the FL PB use the mansard screen design. I think since we attach them to homes here, it's easier to get a similar angles from the wall side & house side that might be harder with the gable, but that's just my guess.

Gwegan - a Thanks for the insight. I'm still torn on the second pump for the water feature; however, I don't think it's worth dropping for the ~$300 savings. (But it would be $300 to spend on a margarita maker, hence my dilemma!) After a lot of reading, I'm still at a complete loss between cartridge vs. sand. Everyone tends to advocate for what they have and few have ever had both. I'm leaning to the cartridge for the lower micron filtering for how it will look at night, either for swimming or just with the lights on.

- - - Updated - - -

Brentr - GREAT points. The livability of the outdoor space has been a big discussion in the Txnole household. We had considered another design with an outdoor kitchen but I think that is going to be done "next time" on the existing patio so that it's weather resistant. I'm going to run my 14g low voltage for speakers but I will take your advice on electrical. We will run to several points and ground on the rebar. Thanks!:goodjob:

Here are the two most recent builds w/ screen enclosures. Both are worth the time to take to read over:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/59601-New-Pool-in-Tampa-Bay!!!-Updated-Pics-9-20

and

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/62243-*Finished*-Pool-Build-in-Cape-Haze-peninsula-SW-Florida

- - - Updated - - -

On the topic of filters, typically, people go w/ cartridge in FL. You will have to rinse off the cartridges when they get dirty/PSI rises. With the sand, you will need to backwash periodically. You will definitely notice more particles when swimming at nighttime with a sand filter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I love the idea of firepit built into the spa! Of course, that wouldn't work for us. After too many adult beverages, I might find myself getting out of the spa on the wrong side and end up singeing my derrière.

Oh gooy! A new pool to watch! THANKS!

Sand vs cartridge filter-I have had both! The sand is easier and faster. Cartridge is "cleaner" as in it catching smaller stuff.

Cleaning sand-Just roll out the tube (or in my case put in the pvc pole) to where you want the water to go, turn the handle to backwash, turn on the pump and stand there looking at the sight glass until you see clear. Turn pump off, turn handle to rinse, turn pump back on and watch the water come out for about a min. or so. Turn off pump, put handle back to filter. You are done.

Cleaning a cartridge filter-turn off pump, close all valves leading to filter, open up the drain valve and allow the water to drain out. Open up the cartridge, take out cartridge, spray the cartridge with a a STRONG output nozzle on the water hose. Keep turning the cartridge to make sure you get every pleat and in between. Put cartridge back in the filter, make sure it is closed tight, open all valves, refill filter and "burp" it to make sure it is full. Turn on pump and make sure the top is seated and there are no leaks.

As you can see the cartridge involves more "work" on the person's part. Make sure to wear clothes and shoes you do not care if they get wet. Set aside about 30 or mins. for each cleaning BUT it does not need to be cleaned often.

I hope this will help you decide.

Since you are doing your pool the TFP way EVERY one will notice how clear your pool is compared to every other pool they have seen!

Have you ordered your test kit yet? LOL

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.