Reference Book

hAltonJones

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 14, 2014
Scottsdale, AZ
I'm going to take over my own pool maintenance and would like a "good" book on pool water chemistry. I'm an advanced degreed chemical engineer by training and would like something more thorough than the standard "dip the strip and add a bucket of chlorine". Is there any book out there that actually explains the physical chemistry and maintenance of pool water? Those offered on Amazon.com seem to be rather basic in their treatment of the subject.

For a more technical treatment, I suggest (after reading the Pool School) you start with the following threads in The Deep End:

Certified Pool Operator (CPO) training -- What is not taught
Pool Water Chemistry (several posts in this thread)
Cost Comparison of Chlorine Sources
Pool Chemical Equivalents
Chlorine vs. Metal Ion Kill Times
pH Buffer Capacity
Degradation of Cyanuric Acid (CYA)
Are Borates Safe to Use?
Asthma and Chlorinated Pools
Cancer and Chlorine

There is much, much more, but this should get you started. There is, of course, a lot more outside of chemistry, such as Hydraulics 101 - Have you lost your head? and you can get to these via the Pool School including links in Further Reading. Of course, if you have specific questions and do not find answers via Search, feel free to ask them though if they are technical in nature please use The Deep End forum for such questions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.