Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Reference Book

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Reference Book

I'm going to take over my own pool maintenance and would like a "good" book on pool water chemistry. I'm an advanced degreed chemical engineer by training and would like something more thorough than the standard "dip the strip and add a bucket of chlorine". Is there any book out there that actually explains the physical chemistry and maintenance of pool water? Those offered on Amazon.com seem to be rather basic in their treatment of the subject.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Reference Book

The good book is on line and it's called Pool School. Start with these:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Richard, our local water guru (chem geek) may know of some books. You can PM him. If you search on his posts he links to many peer reviewed papers regarding the subject.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

I'd like to welcome you to the forum! Take a look at Pool School with paying a special attention to the ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry. I think that should give you a great foundation to build on......and it's free.

4. Back To Top    #4

As an Advanced degred chemical engineer....you might want to dip your toes in The Deep End forum when you get past the basics.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

For a more technical treatment, I suggest (after reading the Pool School) you start with the following threads in The Deep End:

Certified Pool Operator (CPO) training -- What is not taught
    Pool Water Chemistry (several posts in this thread)
    Cost Comparison of Chlorine Sources
    Pool Chemical Equivalents
    Chlorine vs. Metal Ion Kill Times
    pH Buffer Capacity
    Degradation of Cyanuric Acid (CYA)
    Are Borates Safe to Use?
    Asthma and Chlorinated Pools
    Cancer and Chlorine

There is much, much more, but this should get you started. There is, of course, a lot more outside of chemistry, such as Hydraulics 101 - Have you lost your head? and you can get to these via the Pool School including links in Further Reading. Of course, if you have specific questions and do not find answers via Search, feel free to ask them though if they are technical in nature please use The Deep End forum for such questions.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

6. Back To Top    #6

"The Deep End" - Great! Sounds like it might be just what the doctor ordered. Thanks.