Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Raypac heater bypass quick tip.

1. Back To Top    #1

Raypac heater bypass quick tip.

I have, (had) a raypack 336a that was living on borrowed time. A polymer header started leaking recently at its junction to the metal heat exchanger. The Headers were fine but the bolts had rusted off. I thought I could replace the bolts, but the inside of the was so rusted that the heat exchanger was the only solid piece. A new heater 336a is on its way. I just wish raypak would use stainless on the interior parts.

Rather than jury rig PVC to keep the pumps running I took off both polymer headers, puled out the flow diverters, and bolted them together with their gaskets. I left in the thermometer, and pressure switch to keep the holes plugged. I plugged the relief valve with a pool stopper. twelve 1/4x20 x 1-1/4 bolts and 12 washers for $5.30. The old headers are now a quick and easy bypass until the new heater arrives and fits perfectly.

Hope this helps someone else. I will keep the old header construct for future heater repairs.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    " A little knowledge is a dangerous thing"
    19,000 gallon sylvan pool, Easytouch 2 4p automation, Screenlogic interface, Intelliflo VF 3050 pump, Intellichem with Intellichlor 40 chlorinator/Muriatic acid, Raypac millivolt natural gas heater.Polaris pool cleaner with booster pump.Coverstar automatic cover hydraulic mechanism with PCS cover. Wet edge Luna quartz finish 2016. Northeast climate.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide
    Hudson, WI

Re: Raypac heater bypass quick tip.

Very nice hack
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. May 20 - opened for summer
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit -
    Please help keep the lights on so we can be here for others, become a TFP Supporter!