Newbies pool going cloudy / green

Yes. If it's that low it will only get worse. You need to get the pH down in the 7.2-7.4 range and raise the calcium up around 300 right away.

kiss4afrog said:
I have no idea if a lower pH has anything to do with preventing damage to the grout. I mentioned pH as a separate issue... My preference is to be closer to 7.2

Thanks for clarification -- sorry about my confusion.

Quick update. Could not find any decent testers at pool shops here so I will buy online.

Had a couple guys come from a pool shop to check out the pool. I wasn't very impressed when he pulls out the same crappy tester as I have! Turns out he was the same guy that used to look after this pool before I moved in here. When I moved in the water appeared to be excellent, so maybe he does know what hes doing.

So he tests the water as says the chlorine is low. He then goes and adds about 8-10 times the amount of chlorine I had been adding. He did this by broadcasting it over the pool (which I had read was bad)
Also he added a dark coloured liquid. Not sure what this was - any ideas? (his English wasn't that good and the label was in Thai)
Lastly he added tabs to the chlorinator.

He said I should be adding about 3-4 scoops of chlorine every 3 days. Previously I had only been adding around 0.5 - 1 scoops. I was just going off what my tester said and trying to keep in the "ideal" range. Adding 0.5 -1 scoops kept it in that "ideal" range so I thought I was good.

I would guess 1 scoop in my scooping device is about 2'ish cups.

I'll update again tomorrow to see if the pool is improving.

When you get your test kit I am betting that your CYA is sky high with all of the powder and tablet use. They both have CYA (stabilizer) in them.

The CYA keeps getting higher so the need for MORE FC will rise as well. Take a look at this chart

http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock

When you get your good test kit let us know and we can help you get your pool under control.

Kim

Do you have a close, easy, cheap source for liquid bleach/chlorine? That will be the best thing to help you maintain your pool in the future.

I am glad to see how clear your pool is now. The pictures shows why. All of the FC killed some of the algae that was trying to take over your pool. You are going to need to keep the FC up until all of the algae is gone.

Kim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.