Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbies pool going cloudy / green

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbies pool going cloudy / green

Hi guys, sorry if this is going to be a bit long, but there is a lot of info.

So I moved into a new place 6 weeks ago and it's my job to take care of the pool. It's a 62,000 liter in ground chlorine pool with a sand filter. I live in Thailand, so it's very warm here all year around. Air temp generally 30-35 degrees C (85-95F) and for a couple months of the year it's even hotter.
    I went down to the pool shop (with no knowledge on what I needed) and they suggested I get a chlorine / PH tester, some acid, soda ash and chlorine. The chlorine is in powder form. I have since found out that this pool has a system where you add tablets into a cylinder thing near the pump. I plan to use the chlorine powder until it's finished then switch to the tablets - Is this OK?

Everything appeared to be going good until the last week or two. First I started noticed a green algae substance growing on the grout in between tiles. It would only grow on the sides and was greenest near the bottom of the pool. I started to clean this simply by brushing it off without much of a problem. I noticed when brushing the tiles that the grout also comes off like a fine white powder - is this normal? The white power settles on the bottom and I can vacuum it up.

Then yesterday I noticed the pool getting a little bit cloudy / green. Also I noticed that the return jets pressure seemed weak. So I went and had a look at the pool pump. I turned off the pump and unscrewed the lid on the pool pump basket and water started pouring out, like really flowing out! I waited for about 30 secs but the flow didn't slow down. At this point I quickly took out the basket which had a decent amount of **** in it, cleaned it and put it back in and screwed the lid shut. I had looked at clips on you tube of cleaning pool pumps and never did I see water pouring out like this. Any thoughts what happened?

I then turned the pump back on. Instantly a cloudy sandy substance was being returned into the pool. I assume this is because I didn't do a rinse first?
    On the plus side the return jets seem to be stronger now.

So since I've just flushed a bunch of sand back into my pool it looks even worse - See attachment

I looked online at what I should be doing that I hadn't been doing and 1 thing was backwashing. I did my first backwash and rinse today.

I have attached a photo of my chlorine and PH levels. Do they look ok?

Looking for ideas on how to get in back to crystal clear again.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Newbies pool going cloudy / green

After doing a bit more research, I think the reason the return jets was weak was because I had not back washed in 6 weeks.

I'm thinking the low circulation of caused the green and cloudy water.

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome! You have come to the right place to get and keep your pool clear.

I am going to give you some links to read. They will help you understand your pool and the stuff needed to take care of your pool.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...etting-started

http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...ater-chemistry

You will also need a GOOD test kit. You are on the right track with the one you have BUT it does not have all the tests you need. Here is a link that shows the GOOD test kits.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...its-comparison

You are going to need to SLAM your pool. To do the SLAM you will need to have the test kit in hand as well as a large supply of chlorine. Here is the link to SLAMing your pool.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...tain-shockingl

We can/will help you get your pool clear and keep it clear. It can be done with a little front work on your part.

Let us know how else we can help you.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

One thing to keep in mind is that circulation issues don't cause an algae outbreak. Poor circulation can exacerbate algae problems and make cleanup more difficult. However, algae is more indicative of a water chemistry problem (not enough chlorine to kill off the growing algae), as you will see when you read the articles linked above.

Your photo of the test kit shows that there is significant chlorine in the water (perhaps somewhere between 5-10 ppm, guessing from the shade of yellow). However, unless you know the level of CYA (stabilizer) in the pool, there is no way of knowing if the level of chlorine is adequate. The CYA levels in your pool may be very high, if it has been chlorinated by using the tablets you mention -- these are probably trichlor tabs, which add CYA along with chlorine. Chlorine is a consumable and must be replenished regularly; CYA, on the other hand, builds up over time. As CYA goes up, the level of chlorine needed to do the job you want it to do in the pool (i.e. killing algae, bacteria, etc.) also goes up.

Please read, and post back with more questions.
    18' x 48" ring top pool (Summer Escapes); 5500 gallons; set up June - October, stored during winter; Intex 2500 gph pump (B size cartridge filter) Hayward 21" sand filter + 1.5 hp single speed Powerflo Matrix pump (upgrade October 2016) *** K-2006 test kit, refills from tftestkits

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks guys. I'll head into a pool shop tomorrow to get a better tester and go from there.

Reading those links you posted. Do you think a low Calcium Hardness could be why the grout is coming off when brushing the tiles?

6. Back To Top    #6

You need one of the recommended test kits. You can buy a kit at a pool store, but again the pool store kits generally won't cut it. To effectively practice the TFPC methods, the FAS/DPD chlorine test is essential. All these kits contain that test while very few other kits do. The only pool store that "sometimes" stocks a FAS-DPD kit is Leslie's, and you really don't want to look at the price. Don't let a store tell you you don't need it or that something they have is just as good. They are not!!!

Order a TF-100 from TFTestkits.net today and you will have it in a few days. Plus, that kit contains more of the reagents you need to do a SLAM if you order the XL option. If you are a toy guy like me get a Speed Stir and Sample Sizer also. They make testing a breeze.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

7. Back To Top    #7

The original poster is in Thailand -- getting a recommended test kit may not be that simple.
    18' x 48" ring top pool (Summer Escapes); 5500 gallons; set up June - October, stored during winter; Intex 2500 gph pump (B size cartridge filter) Hayward 21" sand filter + 1.5 hp single speed Powerflo Matrix pump (upgrade October 2016) *** K-2006 test kit, refills from tftestkits

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by singingpond View Post
    The original poster is in Thailand -- getting a recommended test kit may not be that simple.
    Well, that does make a difference
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Welcome to the forum

Quote Originally Posted by suprafast View Post
    Do you think a low Calcium Hardness could be why the grout is coming off when brushing the tiles?
    Yes. If it's that low it will only get worse. You need to get the pH down in the 7.2-7.4 range and raise the calcium up around 300 right away.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

Yeah it seems they don't ship here

11. Back To Top    #11

Yeah it seems they don't ship here
    Check out Saltwater Pool Parts. They ship to Australia so maybe they have a way to get a kit to Thailand. Or, if you have a friend in Australia who could forward it??

12. Back To Top    #12

Or maybe try Amazon. Com?

IG 12' x 39' - 20k Gallons - Vinyl Lined - StaRite Cristal-Flo II 26" Sand Filter - Hayward SuperPump 1 hp - Dolphin Dynamic autocleaner - Lochinvar Energyrite gas heater - Aqua Rite SWCG T-15 - TF100 Test Kit - Skimlite Duallly 9016 pole (great pole)

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by kiss4afrog View Post
    Yes. If it's that low it will only get worse. You need to get the pH down in the 7.2-7.4 range and raise the calcium up around 300 right away.
    The pH already looks (from the photo) to be in that range, and I don't think any numbers have been posted, thus far, about calcium hardness level... so do we really know that the suprafast needs to raise CH in the pool?

Maybe even pool store test values would be better than nothing at this point, while the original poster figures out how to get a decent test kit into his/her hands.

14. Back To Top    #14

Thanks guys. Hopefully the shops here have decent testers. If not, I'll order online.

In the mean time I may pay someone to come and test it and go from there. (labour is dirt cheap here, but I do question their professionalism)

Any benefit to putting more chlorine in the pool at this point?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by singingpond View Post
    The pH already looks (from the photo) to be in that range, and I don't think any numbers have been posted, thus far, about calcium hardness level... so do we really know that the suprafast needs to raise CH in the pool?

Maybe even pool store test values would be better than nothing at this point, while the original poster figures out how to get a decent test kit into his/her hands.
    Yeah I was assuming my PH was ok.

When I moved in here 6 weeks ago it was very low. It took 5kg's of soda ash to get it up to where it is now. I haven't had to adjust the PH since then.

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

Reading those links you posted. Do you think a low Calcium Hardness could be why the grout is coming off when brushing the tiles?
    If the owner and tester of the pool is asking about low CH causing damage to their grout I'm going to assume they have low CH or have a reason to think they do and low CH can be very damaging to plaster or grout. I suggested IF it's that low (to cause damage) they raise it to the proper level right away. It seems like the smart thing to do if your grout is coming off. I didn't say how much to add since there were no numbers posted and until it's tested there wouldn't be a way to know for sure.

As for the pH, to me the photo looks to have it high. My preference is to be closer to 7.2
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE

16. Back To Top    #16

Pool showing some improvement today - See photoAttachment 33211

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

Sure looks clearer, nice pool

18. Back To Top    #18

If the owner and tester of the pool is asking about low CH causing damage to their grout I'm going to assume they have low CH or have a reason to think they do and low CH can be very damaging to plaster or grout. I suggested IF it's that low (to cause damage) they raise it to the proper level right away. It seems like the smart thing to do if your grout is coming off. I didn't say how much to add since there were no numbers posted and until it's tested there wouldn't be a way to know for sure.

As for the pH, to me the photo looks to have it high. My preference is to be closer to 7.2
    Asking for information, and I don't want to hijack suprafast's thread...

Why is it desirable to move toward lower pH to prevent damage to grout? If I put in lower pH values in PoolMath, the CSI number goes more negative -- I thought that means the water is more likely to damage the plaster as the pH goes down?

It seems to me that by putting in the 5 kg of soda ash, the pool owner has moved in the right direction for better protection of the grout (i.e. raising TA and raising pH).

19. Back To Top    #19

Please update your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile and add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

20. Back To Top    #20

TFP Guide

I have no idea if a lower pH has anything to do with preventing damage to the grout. I mentioned pH as a separate issue because I think it looks high in the picture. Maybe I have poor color perception. My preference is to be closer to 7.2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast