Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Jolly Gel

1. Back To Top    #1

Jolly Gel

Hi

I have been looking after my neighbours pool and although it is clean and the water is at the correct balance he complains that it does not seem to sparkle as it once did. We are going to try Jolly Gel, I know it is a flocculate and that it puts a layer on the sand filter to catch even smaller particles. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this product. I will report back on my findings.
    Living in Cyprus
    In ground overflow pool tiled 12m X 4m 19507 Us gals 16243 Imp gals
    1 Kw motor 15 cu m per min Sand filter
    I thought I saw the light at the end of the tunnel but it was just some PERSON with a torch walking toward me.
    I started out in life with nothing and I still have most of it left.

2. Back To Top    #2

Jolly Gel

Why don't you just try Adding DE To A Sand Filter.
    I've never used the product or heard of it. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Re: Jolly Gel

I'm with Jeff, add a touch of DE, dial in the pH and add a few ounces of clairifer and it should sparkle within a few hours. Stay away from the weird "wonder" products.
    Co owner of Swimming Pool Science. My pool is green and full of dirt but all of my customer's pools sparkle. Check out my YouTube channel and Facebook page by searching SwimmingpoolAZ.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

I do use DE and it's the way to go. I picked some up at Fleet Farm but HomeDepot, Hardware store, Pool store ... Make sure it's for a pool and not the stuff used in gardens for insect control.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Since you're in Cyprus, I'm not surprised nobody's heard of Jolly Gel.

The pool used to sparkle, and now it doesn't. Did the filter change? Dull water is seldom the filter's fault. I'd look at the chemistry before I started adding any mystery pool additives. "the water is at the correct balance" is pretty vague and subjective. We deal with objective when dealing with chemistry. If my pH gets high, the water loses some sparkle. What is this pool's pH? Is it being chlorinated with Cal-hypo? Could it be overloaded with CYA from using diclor or trichlor to chlorinate?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Since you're in Cyprus, I'm not surprised nobody's heard of Jolly Gel.

The pool used to sparkle, and now it doesn't. Did the filter change? Dull water is seldom the filter's fault. I'd look at the chemistry before I started adding any mystery pool additives. "the water is at the correct balance" is pretty vague and subjective. We deal with objective when dealing with chemistry. If my pH gets high, the water loses some sparkle. What is this pool's pH? Is it being chlorinated with Cal-hypo? Could it be overloaded with CYA from using diclor or trichlor to chlorinate?

A quick Google search shows this magic potion is from the UK.

I'd also look at water chemistry first.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

7. Back To Top    #7

It appears to be Polydiallydimethylammonium chloride and Polyacrylamide. Described as "A blend of Cationic poly-amine and Non ionic Polyacrylamide"

http://www.certikin.co.uk/pdf/180-MS...Gel-240214.pdf

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    It appears to be Polydiallydimethylammonium chloride
    That's easy for you to say.....
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

9. Back To Top    #9

Hi
    Thanks for the replies

pH 7.6
    CYA 45
    TA 107
    CH 500
    FC 4.3

These are the latest results, I did mention de but my neighbour had a mind set and wanted Jolly Gel. He is convinced that the water now sparkles and I must admit it does seem clearer. I was just wondering if anyone else had used this product.

Thanks again.
    Living in Cyprus
    I thought I saw the light at the end of the tunnel but it was just some PERSON with a torch walking toward me.

10. Back To Top    #10

Hi
    Just to let you know I cannot get de sand here so I will have to go with Jolly Gel But again thanks for your input.
    Living in Cyprus