Which Taylor test kit for salt sys?

Sep 18, 2012
Saugus,Ca
Was going to purchase a Taylor test kit for our salt system,just want to make sure I get the correct kit with all the options that I'll need. Thanks for the help and patience with this newbie.
Also my 2 year old Pentair Intelliflo VS pump seems to be corroded more than it should be,any ideas on why? Thanks again for the great and informative site!

The TF-100 is the best value. Or the Taylor K2006, but you will need to order refills sooner. Also the Taylor K1766 is the best salt test to be added to either of the full kits. There is a comparison of the kits in Pool School.

The SpeedStir is a great add-on for either kit.

Thanks,I was looking at the TF-100 kit then saw the add-on's and scratched my head as to what else I may need. So,the TF-100 kit with the K1766? Thanks....I'm going to check out Pool School.
Welcome to TFP. I see most of your posts have been regarding your salt sytem, so start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

It is a great community here, but we do ask that you read and try to understand the information being taught so you can take control of your pool. Questions are always welcome and folks will try to direct you and teach you the methods.

So we can be prepared for your questions it would help us if you would add your location to your profile and the following information to your signature:
  • The size of your pool in gallons
  • If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground)
  • If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass
  • The type of filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge) and, if you know, the brand and model of the filter.
  • If you know, please tell us the brand and model of the pump, and mention if is it a two speed or variable speed pump.
  • Date of pool build/install, particularly important if less then a year old.
  • What kind/model of water test kit you are using
  • Other significant accessories or options, such as a spa , SWG, or cleaner

So after receiving my test kit and way to much work I finally got around to doing my test! Here are my results any info and input would be appreciated!
CL-5 ,BR-10,PH-7.8,Chlorine drop-7.5 & no CC,Calcium Hardness-1000ppm,TA-130,CYA-30,and Sodium Chloride-4800ppm. Let me know if I missed anything or need to add more info thanks!!

The calcium level is very high, if accurate. Is there a reason that would explain the level? It could be test error. Do you have any reason to believe that there might be copper in the water?

The salt level is too high for the AquaRite. What does the salt display show?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The pump should always be run at least 30 minutes before any testing.

Did you ever answer what level the SWG thinks the salt is? I generally seem to test about 600ppm higher than my SWG reads ... even when both the kit and SWG were new.

I usually end up having to clean the cell every 4-6 weeks. I believe the water in our area is naturally "hard" as a lot of people run water softners. I've been noticing some of the white flaking settling in the bottom of the jaquzzi as well. Thanks for the help btw!

- - - Updated - - -

Do u use the speed stir for all of your test? Sorry if that is a dumb question. I purchased it,but have yet to use it.

I usually end up having to clean the cell every 4-6 weeks. I believe the water in our area is naturally "hard" as a lot of people run water softners. I've been noticing some of the white flaking settling in the bottom of the jaquzzi as well. Thanks for the help btw!

- - - Updated - - -

Do u use the speed stir for all of your test? Sorry if that is a dumb question. I purchased it,but have yet to use it.

This is the same boat that I am in with the fill water. Do you have a water softener for your house water? What I did was run an outside spigot by the pool that comes off of the softener. I use that to refill the pool when the need presents itself. Extra thorough back washes/rinses helps drain out as much as possible.

Isn't it hard to believe that with the way a water softener works (add salt to a brine tank that then "softens" the water) that we have 20,000 gallon pools filled with several hundred pounds of salt and the water is still hard???? SMH.

I have a compupool setup where you can clearly see the plates in the cell. And I have to clean the cell every 4-6 weeks or I get a low flow warning from my heater.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.