Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Taylor test kit for salt sys?

1. Back To Top    #1

Which Taylor test kit for salt sys?

Was going to purchase a Taylor test kit for our salt system,just want to make sure I get the correct kit with all the options that I'll need. Thanks for the help and patience with this newbie.
    Also my 2 year old Pentair Intelliflo VS pump seems to be corroded more than it should be,any ideas on why? Thanks again for the great and informative site!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Which Taylor test kit for salt sys?

The TF-100 is the best value. Or the Taylor K2006, but you will need to order refills sooner. Also the Taylor K1766 is the best salt test to be added to either of the full kits. There is a comparison of the kits in Pool School.

The SpeedStir is a great add-on for either kit.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks,I was looking at the TF-100 kit then saw the add-on's and scratched my head as to what else I may need. So,the TF-100 kit with the K1766? Thanks....I'm going to check out Pool School.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Dunerking View Post
    Thanks,I was looking at the TF-100 kit then saw the add-on's and scratched my head as to what else I may need. So,the TF-100 kit with the K1766? Thanks....I'm going to check out Pool School.
    Welcome to TFP. I see most of your posts have been regarding your salt sytem, so start with these:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool

It is a great community here, but we do ask that you read and try to understand the information being taught so you can take control of your pool. Questions are always welcome and folks will try to direct you and teach you the methods.

So we can be prepared for your questions it would help us if you would add your location to your profile and the following information to your signature:
    • The size of your pool in gallons
    • If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground)
    • If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass
    • The type of filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge) and, if you know, the brand and model of the filter.
    • If you know, please tell us the brand and model of the pump, and mention if is it a two speed or variable speed pump.
    • Date of pool build/install, particularly important if less then a year old.
    • What kind/model of water test kit you are using
    • Other significant accessories or options, such as a spa , SWG, or cleaner
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

Sorry,I keep meaning to add my info to my sig. Thx again for the solid info.

6. Back To Top    #6

Added my sig,hope this may help.
    16'x34' sport shape pool with raised waterfall jaquzzi,Intelliflo VS pump,Hayward DE filter,NatureSoft(Pebble Technology)salt board,Hayward H250 heater,Hayward T-15 cell

7. Back To Top    #7

So after receiving my test kit and way to much work I finally got around to doing my test! Here are my results any info and input would be appreciated!
    CL-5 ,BR-10,PH-7.8,Chlorine drop-7.5 & no CC,Calcium Hardness-1000ppm,TA-130,CYA-30,and Sodium Chloride-4800ppm. Let me know if I missed anything or need to add more info thanks!!
    16'x34' sport shape pool with raised waterfall jaquzzi,Intelliflo VS pump,Hayward DE filter,NatureSoft(Pebble Technology)salt board,Hayward H250 heater,Hayward T-15 cell

8. Back To Top    #8

The calcium level is very high, if accurate. Is there a reason that would explain the level? It could be test error. Do you have any reason to believe that there might be copper in the water?

The salt level is too high for the AquaRite. What does the salt display show?

9. Back To Top    #9

I was thinking the same about the Calcium being high. I'll re-check both the salt and calcium tomorrow. Not sure about the copper in our water. Thanks for the input!

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Tip: be sure to use the 10 ml sample of pool water for the calcium test so each drop=25 ppm. If you do not have those instructions, post back and someone will explain
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

Using the same 10ml sample I came up with Calcium-850ppm and Sodium Chloride-4400ppm. Not sure if it matters but pump was running yesterday while I tested and not running today. Thanks!

12. Back To Top    #12

The pump should always be run at least 30 minutes before any testing.

Did you ever answer what level the SWG thinks the salt is? I generally seem to test about 600ppm higher than my SWG reads ... even when both the kit and SWG were new.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks for confirming to test while pump is running. I'll re-check today while system is running. I'll also look to see what the board is saying its at. Thanks!

14. Back To Top    #14

So finally got a day off and pump has been running for over 1 hour. The best I can tell the board is showing 2800 ppm. Calcium test shows 750ppm and Sodium Chloride is 4000ppm. Let me know what u guys think...thanks!

15. Back To Top    #15

That is a pretty big difference between the salt numbers. When is the last time you inspected the cell for build-up and cleaned it?
    Jason, TFP Moderator

16. Back To Top    #16

I usually end up having to clean the cell every 4-6 weeks. I believe the water in our area is naturally "hard" as a lot of people run water softners. I've been noticing some of the white flaking settling in the bottom of the jaquzzi as well. Thanks for the help btw!

- - - Updated - - -

Do u use the speed stir for all of your test? Sorry if that is a dumb question. I purchased it,but have yet to use it.

17. Back To Top    #17

How old is the cell?

What is the calcium level of the fill water?

18. Back To Top    #18

The cell is maybe 1 years old.

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by Dunerking View Post
    I usually end up having to clean the cell every 4-6 weeks. I believe the water in our area is naturally "hard" as a lot of people run water softners. I've been noticing some of the white flaking settling in the bottom of the jaquzzi as well. Thanks for the help btw!

- - - Updated - - -

Do u use the speed stir for all of your test? Sorry if that is a dumb question. I purchased it,but have yet to use it.
    This is the same boat that I am in with the fill water. Do you have a water softener for your house water? What I did was run an outside spigot by the pool that comes off of the softener. I use that to refill the pool when the need presents itself. Extra thorough back washes/rinses helps drain out as much as possible.

Isn't it hard to believe that with the way a water softener works (add salt to a brine tank that then "softens" the water) that we have 20,000 gallon pools filled with several hundred pounds of salt and the water is still hard???? SMH.

I have a compupool setup where you can clearly see the plates in the cell. And I have to clean the cell every 4-6 weeks or I get a low flow warning from my heater.

30x20 vinyl IG, Hayward SD60 with Pentair Dynamo 340219 2HP pump, Compupool CPSC24 SWG, Hayward H200FDN heater. APC automatic pool cover.
    Central Illinois

20. Back To Top    #20

Yes, I use the speed stir for all l my tests except the Cya.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast