Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cantilevered Umbrellas/Parasols

1. Back To Top    #1

Cantilevered Umbrellas/Parasols

I have been through two different types of these umbellas which were expensive and yet which broke within a couple of years. Anyone have any advice on what brand to use? We like to use one to shade part of the shallow end so that the young kids don't get burnt to a crisp.

I had a round Sun Garden which seemed to be well made but the crank broke and couldn't be repaired - I think I paid about $1200 for it. And then I had another brand that was square and it broke in a couple of places this year.

Here is the Sun Garden that I had (and I still have another one that is lasting a bit longer):

I also tried a much cheaper brand from Home Depot but I don't think it even lasted one season.

Anyone have any good experiences with these things?

And any opinions on using a permanent base as opposed to a big hunk of plastic that you fill with water and sand or a granite base?
    Vinyl 18'x36' in-ground 100,000 L, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG, Jandy Lite2 heater, StaRite System3 filter, Evac tube solar heating panels

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cantilevered Umbrellas/Parasols

My wife bought a Coolaroo 12í online during a spring sale for around $250 delivered.

The umbrella section is simpler than yours with no frills but itís made well.
    The tubing and crank mechanism seems to be sturdy and so far held up well for the last 4-5 months. I close and collapse it during strong a wind, which makes me use the crank a lot, no problems.

The real short fall is the base or lack there of!
    I had to use 4 of our larger size pavers to make sure its not going anywhere and it does not look as good as the finished base of the unit you have

For the price Iím happy with it & Iím pretty sure we will get at least 2-3 seasons with it but you never know.
    IG Tear Drop, Dark Gray Gunite , 27,000 gallons -Age 50+-years, very old Hayward Split Egg Sand Filter with side mount Multi-port- Hayward SP2600VSP Pump- Hayward chlorine feed (not used since finding TFP) - Laars 315K BTU Oil heater- LoopLoc Safety cover- AquaBot RAPIDS 4WD- TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir- 390 Gal Hot Springs Spa Envoy installed May 2017

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Cantilevered Umbrellas/Parasols

Sun Garden parts are available in the US via mail order.

We have one that is 10 years old and I just replaced the canopy last year, and did a re-cord this year.

Great Umbrella !

Quote Originally Posted by wayner View Post
    I have been through two different types of these umbellas which were expensive and yet which broke within a couple of years. Anyone have any advice on what brand to use? We like to use one to shade part of the shallow end so that the young kids don't get burnt to a crisp.

I had a round Sun Garden which seemed to be well made but the crank broke and couldn't be repaired - I think I paid about $1200 for it. And then I had another brand that was square and it broke in a couple of places this year.

Here is the Sun Garden that I had (and I still have another one that is lasting a bit longer):

I also tried a much cheaper brand from Home Depot but I don't think it even lasted one season.

Anyone have any good experiences with these things?

And any opinions on using a permanent base as opposed to a big hunk of plastic that you fill with water and sand or a granite base?
    Last edited by Leebo; 10-30-2014 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Removed Link
    29,700 Gallon Vinyl Roman End, Sta-Rite Max-Therm-400HD gas heater, Sta-Rite S7M120 cartridge filter, Pool Pilot DIG-220 SWG