Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Where to buy PVC 2 inch inside coupling?

1. Back To Top    #1

Where to buy PVC 2 inch inside coupling?

I am in the process of replacing a salt cell and the easiest way to do this is likely to cut the pipe and use inside couplings. But it appears that these couplers can be relatively hard to find.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to buy these - either locally (which for me is in Toronto) or online?
    Vinyl 18'x36' in-ground 100,000 L, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG, Jandy Lite2 heater, StaRite System3 filter, Evac tube solar heating panels

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Where to buy PVC 2 inch inside coupling?

Try searching for slip fittings.

3. Back To Top    #3

What's the advantage of using a slip coupling rather than an inside coupler?

My use case, as well as photos, are contained here:
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...l=1#post706288
    Vinyl 18'x36' in-ground 100,000 L, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG, Jandy Lite2 heater, StaRite System3 filter, Evac tube solar heating panels

4. Back To Top    #4

I assume you are talking about a fitting the slips inside the pipe? I think they are called pipe extenders. The problem with them is that you are adding a restriction to the flow by reducing the inside diameter and thus increasing head loss and lowering your flow rate.

- - - Updated - - -

Why do you need to cut the pipe? Are you changing the brand of the SWG so that the cell will not fit?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Search
    Inside slip coupling
    Amazon has a bunch of them.
    http://www.amazon.com/water-source-w.../dp/B00F2QMC3A

6. Back To Top    #6

Jandy/Zodiac has changed the size of the unions - I bought a new cell for my Aquapure 1400 and thought I had a 5 minute job on my hand. But no, you have to cut out the old unions and put new ones on. But I don't have enough excess room to use the normal outer couplings.

Using the inner couplings will reduce the diameter but from what one of the mods posted here that shouldn't be an issue since it is only for a few inches.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Haven't heard of that but I have seen another method of removing PVC by putting on some glue and lighting that on fire, then using needle nose pliers to grab and twist the old pipe out. A variation on this theme is to use a propane torch on the pipe for about 30 seconds. Those methods were discussed here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-glue-or-torch

But I have zero experience working with PVC so I am not too keen on starting with high degree of difficulty tasks. I may get somebody to do it for me, but he may not know where to get the couplings.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by wayner View Post
    What's the advantage of using a slip coupling rather than an inside coupler?

My use case, as well as photos, are contained here:
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...l=1#post706288
    Don't know any advantages. I was a plumber when I was young and never heard the term inside coupling, but "slip coupling" is pretty common especially in copper applications.

10. Back To Top    #10

I know nothing about this stuff but it looks like they are somewhat different since you can slide a slip coupling to change the length. But the inside couplers that I am talking about are not adjustable - they have a ridge and you push the PVC pipe up against the ridge on either side.

11. Back To Top    #11

McMaster Carr. Part number 4880K787.
    Amazing selection, fast shipping, not the lowest price.

-Denny
    IG gunite 20k Gal (estimate), Nautilus NS-60 filter (D.E.), Single speed pump (unreadable nameplate - assume 1HP) on a crappy mechanical timer.
    And a worn-out Kreepy Kraully. TF-100.

12. Back To Top    #12

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks that's perfect. Now I just have to hope that they ship to Canada.

14. Back To Top    #14

Does anyone have any other ideas other than McMaster Carr for these types of parts. They won't ship to Canada except to businesses due to export regulations. You think I was trying to by a super top secret weapon rather than a hunk of plastic!

15. Back To Top    #15

Did you google PVC pipe extender and see if you can find another supplier?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

16. Back To Top    #16

Well I was googling "inside connector". A few other sites show the item but many of them seem to be B2B (business to business) web sites rather than B2C (business to consumer) so it isn't always easy to find a suitable supplier.