Couple of closing questions

Aug 4, 2014
Fuquay Varina, NC
First time pool owner and I will be closing my pool myself for the first time this season. I have been following the TFP method for half of the season and it has worked great. My current setup is 3 returns, 2 skimmers, main drain and waterfall. Can someone validate my closing plan and answer a few questions I have? I have an inline chlorinator that i don't use and it is connected by two unions. My plan was to remove the chlorinator and then blow out the lines from the open pipes left by the chrlorinator. I was planning to use a shop vac. Here are my questions...

1) Will this work?
2) Do I drain the pump and filter FIRST before I blow out the lines?
3) What setting on the multiport filter valve do I use when blowing out the lines?
4) After blowing out the lines, do the valves for the returns, skimmers and main drain all get put in the CLOSED position? I am planning to put gizmos in the skimmers lines.

ONE LAST NOTE: my equipment is slightly below the pool, not be much.

I have several weeks before I am planning to close, but wanted to make sure I planned ahead. Any thoughts, questions or concerns would really be appreciated.

First time pool owner and I will be closing my pool myself for the first time this season. I have been following the TFP method for half of the season and it has worked great. My current setup is 3 returns, 2 skimmers, main drain and waterfall. Can someone validate my closing plan and answer a few questions I have? I have an inline chlorinator that i don't use and it is connected by two unions. My plan was to remove the chlorinator and then blow out the lines from the open pipes left by the chrlorinator. I was planning to use a shop vac. Here are my questions...

1) Will this work?
Shop vac will work to blow out the lines provided you have a high horsepower vac. I'd suggest 6 HP or more. Blowers typically have high volume, low pressure capabilities. Compressors have high pressure, low volume. What you want is a bit of both. A high HP blower will get you there, usually. Otherwise a 2HP or higher compressor is recommended, just don't set pressure above 10 psi or so.
2) Do I drain the pump and filter FIRST before I blow out the lines?
Drain the pump last.
3) What setting on the multiport filter valve do I use when blowing out the lines?
You can use either backwash, waste or recirculate. Backwash and waste will send water out your waste line through the filter, recirculate will bypass the filter and blow out either skimmers or returns depending on what is plugged/shut off.
4) After blowing out the lines, do the valves for the returns, skimmers and main drain all get put in the CLOSED position? I am planning to put gizmos in the skimmers lines.
I would close them all after blowing out lines. Main drain needs to be closed while blowing it out to air lock it and prevent water from flowing back into it.

ONE LAST NOTE: my equipment is slightly below the pool, not be much.

I have several weeks before I am planning to close, but wanted to make sure I planned ahead. Any thoughts, questions or concerns would really be appreciated.

My responses in red. There are a few good youtube videos and a very good set of videos on monkeysee here http://www.monkeysee.com/play/11842-winterize-a-pool-blow-out-lines-part-1 aside from the chlorine floater shown, it's good.

Thanks for the response and videos. I watched them and now have one more question - I thought the chemicals to raise the FC and Poly60 should be put in advance of the pool closing. It looks like the video shows it on the same day. Also, I was thinking that my gas leaf blower could do the trick of blowing out the lines. I have a Craftsman 25cc 210mph / 450 cfm Gas Blower. Would this work?

This particular set of videos adds chemicals in a way I wouldn't recommend. Best to add and circulate thoroughly, then drain to your desired level. There is an aspect of "I'm wasting some of that expensive Poly 60 by draining after adding" but I'd rather have it circulated well myself.

I have no experience with the gas blowers so the only way to know is to ask around or wait for other responses. Even a high HP shop vac doesn't guarantee it will be able to do the job. A well designed low HP blower/vac will do a better job than others that may have high HP.

Search for blower closing and you'll get other threads with advice/experience.

For the record, I add nothing. I close basically how you describe above, but I add zero chemicals. My FC is around 10 when I close, but I wait until early to mid November to close when the water is close to 50. I then open in March when the water is again close to 50. Doing this, algae cant grow and no need for any additives. My pool opened crystal clear.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.