In cold climates is a pool antifreeze advised?

Jabo

Jun 15, 2014
Freeport IL

I was told there is an antifreeze you can add to the water. I read nothing about that in pool school, so think all I need to do is drain water below lowest pump and shock the pool, correct? No other chemicals needed, right. All the winterizing kits contain chemicals, like clarifiers, stain fighters, etc. None of these are needed, correct?in fighters:confused:

Last edited:
SLAM the pool. Drain below skimmer and return. Remove equipment. Cover pool.

It's that simple.

If you want, you can also plug the skimmer and return and keep your water level higher. You still need to remove your pumping equipment and drain the lines.

If you go this route, you have to make sure to keep after standing water on your cover, so that it does not overflow the pool. Your pool may also freeze deep enough to knock out your return plug, but then you get a free skating rink (been there, done that)

-dave

No doubt, yes. I have an IG, but basically so do you. I blow the lines out which evacuates probably 95% of the water. But then I add about 10 gallons total of antifreeze. Just to sit in the low spots. $3 a gallon x 10 gallons= me sleeping well when it is -50. On your farthest return from the pump you may want to put one of these.

http://www.intheswim.com/Pool-Openi...losing-Accessories/One-Way-Winter-Pool-Valve/

Blow all air out. Use this to cap the farthest one away. Pour in a few gallons of antifreeze. Hit quickly with blower. Couple more gallons. Hit quick with blower. Have a spouse or kid look for antifreeze to just puff out of valve and that's it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, I did drain and remove all the lines; guess I thought it was too easy :)

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, you are right, it is simple; I thought it would be harder! Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, mine is Above ground and turns out, it is simple. I just need to drain below my line, remove them and shock and I'm good to go. Thanks for your reply.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.