Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: In cold climates is a pool antifreeze advised?

1. Back To Top    #1

In cold climates is a pool antifreeze advised?

I was told there is an antifreeze you can add to the water. I read nothing about that in pool school, so think all I need to do is drain water below lowest pump and shock the pool, correct? No other chemicals needed, right. All the winterizing kits contain chemicals, like clarifiers, stain fighters, etc. None of these are needed, correct?in fighters
    Last edited by Jabo; 09-11-2014 at 02:09 PM. Reason: add info.
    18"X48" Intex Ultra Pool; AG; 6424 gal; instal 5-26-14
    First time pool owner; NW IL
    Krystal Clear Model 635 Filter Pump-Cartridge A; 1500 gal/hr
    Krystal Clear Saltwater System Model CS8110 added

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: In cold climates is a pool antifreeze advised?

Not much reason on an AG pool. The lines and equipment are easily drained and removed.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

SLAM the pool. Drain below skimmer and return. Remove equipment. Cover pool.

It's that simple.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

If you want, you can also plug the skimmer and return and keep your water level higher. You still need to remove your pumping equipment and drain the lines.

If you go this route, you have to make sure to keep after standing water on your cover, so that it does not overflow the pool. Your pool may also freeze deep enough to knock out your return plug, but then you get a free skating rink (been there, done that)

-dave
    27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
    Not much reason on an AG pool. The lines and equipment are easily drained and removed.
    unless its buried like mine. my lines are all underground, and while I bought skimmer plugs and have return plugs, and plan on blowing out the lines with compressed air, im still wondering if I should do antifreeze in case I dont get all the water out.
    Partially buried Doughboy Desert Spring 16 x 32, sport pool, with 7 ft deep middle, 20,000 gallons, Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 250 lb sandfilter, 2 Doughboy skimmers and 2 returns. 2 cascade fountains.
    Taylor K-2006 kit. Zodiac Barracuda Ranger suction side cleaner.
    TFPC method and is crystal clear every day thanks to TFP!!!

6. Back To Top    #6

In cold climates is a pool antifreeze advised?

No doubt, yes. I have an IG, but basically so do you. I blow the lines out which evacuates probably 95% of the water. But then I add about 10 gallons total of antifreeze. Just to sit in the low spots. $3 a gallon x 10 gallons= me sleeping well when it is -50. On your farthest return from the pump you may want to put one of these.

http://www.intheswim.com/Pool-Openin...er-Pool-Valve/

Blow all air out. Use this to cap the farthest one away. Pour in a few gallons of antifreeze. Hit quickly with blower. Couple more gallons. Hit quick with blower. Have a spouse or kid look for antifreeze to just puff out of valve and that's it.

30x20 vinyl IG, Hayward SD60 with Pentair Dynamo 340219 2HP pump, Compupool CPSC24 SWG, Hayward H200FDN heater. APC automatic pool cover.
    Central Illinois

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks, I did drain and remove all the lines; guess I thought it was too easy

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, you are right, it is simple; I thought it would be harder! Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, mine is Above ground and turns out, it is simple. I just need to drain below my line, remove them and shock and I'm good to go. Thanks for your reply.
    18"X48" Intex Ultra Pool; AG; 6424 gal; instal 5-26-14
    First time pool owner; NW IL
    Krystal Clear Model 635 Filter Pump-Cartridge A; 1500 gal/hr
    Krystal Clear Saltwater System Model CS8110 added