Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool fence requirements the builder never told me about

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool fence requirements the builder never told me about

So, my pool is built and I was red tagged for not having proper fencing. The builder never informed me about this. I Figured my yard is fenced in and I have a electric gate on a timer. I even asked about it. They just said i don't know. Of course they know. Now my only option is to put up a big fence in the middle of my very small back yard. I honestly would rather tear the pool out and put the dirt back in than do that. I have a carport and driveway that separates from the pool. A huge fence would be beyond ugly. I can't just put up a temp fence and tear it down. They will want something that looks perm. I am kind of at a loss. I am beyond ****** right now. The building of this pool has been a terrible experience. Finally, it is all done and then I get this **** sprung on me. I would have never built this pool if I knew this.

What are my options now? The dividing area is sundeck and the concrete driveway. There is about 30 foot of area that needs to be fenced. I want something that I can put up with as little damage as possible after I tear it down. I also don't want to spend a ton of money on this. I don't even feel I should have to spend a penny.
    Russell,

IG 11K gemstone freeform w/ waterfalls, Jandy 2HP ePump, CL460 Cartridge Filter, 400K Legacy Heater, Nicheless LEDs, AquaPure SWG, Aqualink, Dolphin Z5, TF-100.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool fence requirements the builder never told me about

Talk to your insurance company. Your property will be uninsurable without a pool fence.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Most cities have ordinances related to pool enclosures as well. It is up to property owners to know these codes. It is very common for cities to require 6 foot high fence completely surrounding pool area or larger area with a locking gate.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

4. Back To Top    #4

I don't understand why. My yard is completely fenced in. There is no way for anyone to get inside unless they run in behind my car. The gate is on a timer. I am really regretting building this pool.
    Russell,

IG 11K gemstone freeform w/ waterfalls, Jandy 2HP ePump, CL460 Cartridge Filter, 400K Legacy Heater, Nicheless LEDs, AquaPure SWG, Aqualink, Dolphin Z5, TF-100.

5. Back To Top    #5

Are you in the city of Houston? If so your builder had to show the fence with self closing gates on the plan he submitted to get a building permit. If he had it on the plans he submitted, ask him when he is going to install it.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
    Talk to your insurance company. Your property will be uninsurable without a pool fence.
    I have never seen a pool fence in my entire life on any pool. I have been in plenty of them.
    Russell,

7. Back To Top    #7

If its red tagged, doesn't that mean the work isn't complete? Have you paid in full for the pool? Perhaps you have some leverage there.

Though I have a hard time believing that you've "never seen a pool fence"....

There are plenty of options...the last couple places I've lived, something fences like this company does are pretty common:
    http://www.babyguardfence.com
    15.5K gal, concrete, 1HP AO Smith pump, Hayward C1200 cartridge filter, Zodiac T5 Duo auto cleaner, 8 panel solar heater controlled by Hayward Aqua Solar GL-235

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Schumacher View Post
    I have never seen a pool fence in my entire life on any pool. I have been in plenty of them.
    That seems pretty close to impossible. Code requires them, and with pools being considered an "attractive nuisance", it would be financial suicide not to have one.
    TFP Moderator
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Schumacher View Post
    Give your homeowners insurance company a call and ask their requirements. When we purchased our current home they (the insurance company) had a private inspector come out and look at the pool and the fence/self closing gates.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
    Not true where I live. My insurance company is well aware of my setup.
    36' x 18' 20k in ground, Finest Finish grey plaster, Pentair Tagelus 100D sand filter, Hayward Northstar 2hp pump, Jandy LRZ125EN heater, spill over spa, iaqualink controlled automation, Stenner chlorination, natural rock and flagstone coping, 1" glass mosaic waterline tile, SR Smith Vortex slide.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by smracing View Post
    Not true where I live. My insurance company is well aware of my setup.
    When code requires it and you don't have it, the liability is too high for an insurance company to mess with insuring you. As a matter of fact, if they insure you and you are sued, they may be able to avoid liability by showing that you were knowingly in violation of local rules. It would not be pretty.
    TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

Pearland, TX required only a self closeing latch on my enclosed back yard fence and two small $10 alarms on my doors leading out to the pool area. PB should have provided you with all info on extra costs. Who is your PB? did you go with Premier?
    Completed 38'X21' IG Free form pool approx 18.5K gallons, sports pool w/spa and tanning shelf 3.5-5.5 ft. Jandy Cartridge Filter, Jandy stealth pumps, Jandy LXi Heater, I aqualink, Inline chlorinator. Click to see My Pool Build

13. Back To Top    #13

Can you post some pictures?
    TF-100 | 13.6k gal (24' Round) AG | Chlorine | Sand Filter | Two Speed Motor | Installed June 2014 | Last Opened April 24 2016

14. Back To Top    #14

Sec. 43-6. Facilities: minimum standards.
    (a)
    Except as provided in subsection (b), the City adopts minimum standards for facilities that are identical to those pool safety standards contained in the following state and federal laws, all of which are incorporated herein:
    (1)
    The VGBA;
    (2)
    Chapter 757 of the Texas Health and Safety Code; and
    (3)
    Subchapters L and M of Chapter 265 of Title 25 of the Texas Administrative Code.
    (b)
    The provisions of Section 265.208 of Title 25 of the Texas Administrative Code shall not apply to enforcement of this chapter.
    (c)
    The operator of a facility shall maintain the facility in accordance with the pool safety standards adopted by the City pursuant to subsection (a).

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.u...pdf/HS.757.pdf

http://www.sos.state.tx.us/tac/index.shtml
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

15. Back To Top    #15

Bridging 30 Ft should be fairly easy, you are looking at 4 8 ft sections of prebuilt fencing and 3 to 5 posts depending on if the ends could be mounted to the structure of the house. In that length you could probably even get a nice black aluminum fence installed for under $500 plus labor, but like others have said photos would really help us understand your situation better.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~