Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is this salt water / SWG damage on my coping?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is this salt water / SWG damage on my coping?

My pool is at the end of it 4th season and I'm seeing some cracks in the concrete and some chips coming off the coping.

Is this the result of the SWG? Also, are my coping stones the wrong kind for use with an SWG?

Thanks!
    Bart
    Attached Images Attached Images
    700 sq. ft./30,000 gal, gunite pool; 48 SF DE filter; 1.5 HP pump; Salt Water Generator; Solar Heat

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is this salt water / SWG damage on my coping?

I'm no expert, but it looks more like water-freeze damage
    45'x12' 17k gal, IG plaster, Pool Pilot Nano+ SWG, 1/2hp Whisperflo pump, PAC-FAB TA-60D sand filter, Raypak 266 heater
    Pool School + Test Kit + Pool Math = Trouble Free Pool

3. Back To Top    #3

I agree with @zimm. It looks like water infiltration/freezing damage. Especially the mortar in between your stone coping. That looks like standard thermal expansion cracking. That is easily repaired and/or patched.

Look at the top of the tile line in the pool starting at the top of the tile. Do you see any separation or gap between the top of the tile and bottom of the coping?

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks folks!

Yes, Sunny, there is some separation between the top of the tile and the coping in certain spots. What does that mean? More freeze damage? I drain the pool to below the tile line before closing it in winter and cover the pool with a "solid" cover that covers the entire pool and all of the coping.
    700 sq. ft./30,000 gal, gunite pool; 48 SF DE filter; 1.5 HP pump; Salt Water Generator; Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

You need to seal those separations with a water tight sanded caulk or grout intended for pool use. If you allow water to infiltrate between the bond beam and the coping, any trapped water under the coping will freeze over winter and cause the coping to shift and move. That is why your mortar is cracking - water is infiltrating that area and cause the ground beneath it to shift.

Can you probe the separations to see how deep they go? Something like a very thin metal or plastic spatula night work or a thin plastic flexible ruler.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Salt damage on stone usually appears as erosion. It just looks like accelerated weathering of the surface. As the others said, that looks like frost damage. If those cracks aren't sealed up watertight, when winter comes it will get worse.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Ugg, but thanks for the info!!!

Does the area between the top of the tile and bottom of the coping need to be patched or just the cracks in the mortor?

8. Back To Top    #8

The separations between the tile line and the coping are critical. You have a giant source of water just inches away from them. The pool area will always be warmer and more humid than the surrounding area. Even if water doesn't splash there (a big IF) then water vapor will condense and freeze in those gaps. That can easily lead to more cracking.

The surface cracks in the mortar between the coping are easier to fix. Those are secondary in my opinion.

9. Back To Top    #9

Since your pool is only 4 years old, you could always ask the PB or the sub that did the stone & tile works for a quick patch job.

10. Back To Top    #10

Great stuff, thanks so much for the response!!!!!!

11. Back To Top    #11

No salt damage, in fact I see none in any of your pictures.
    43 x 19 Gunite Pool w/ spa and fire pit, 19,000 gallons, Pebble Sheen Aqua Blue finish, Jandy 2 HP VS E-pump, Jandy 580 sq ft Cartridge Filter, Jandy LXI 400k Heater, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG, 4 Jandy LED color lights, Aqualink PDA and Iaqualink, Polaris 280 with Booster Pump. Polaris 9550 Robot Cleaner. 1 HP Silencer Air Blower for Spa http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...NAL-INSPECTION

12. Back To Top    #12

I agree with the others that it is not salt damage.

I think that some of the damage is likely due to freezing water.

I think that there might be other stresses in the stones due to inadequate expansion joints. While it looks like there is some expansion joint, it does not look like it is complete. Also, some expansion joint might look good on the surface, but be insufficient underneath.

13. Back To Top    #13

Can we get a picture of the whole pool with coping? I'm wondering whats causing the movement. It may be freezing but it might be more.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

14. Back To Top    #14

Unfortunately I don't have any perfect pictures of the pool and deck on my phone and the pool is at our little weekend place, so I can get more shots tomorrow, but here's the best of what I have right now:

(I can send full size images too, if you need to zoom in on a specific area)
    Attached Images Attached Images

15. Back To Top    #15

Sweet place! Where in NOVA are you? Sure as heck isn't Annandale where I am- no mountains in my view.
    45'x12' 17k gal, IG plaster, Pool Pilot Nano+ SWG, 1/2hp Whisperflo pump, PAC-FAB TA-60D sand filter, Raypak 266 heater
    Pool School + Test Kit + Pool Math = Trouble Free Pool

16. Back To Top    #16

We're out a little further west...............just before Front Royal