Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: FC/CC readings for bromine spas using chlorine FAS-DPD

1. Back To Top    #1

FC/CC readings for bromine spas using chlorine FAS-DPD

I have the Taylor K-2006 chlorine test kit. I use the chlorine test in my spa as well- my spa is bromine. I was told I could just multiply by 2.25. So with a 25mL sample each drop indicates an FC of .45.

Is this also true for measuring CC? The CC levels in my spa, assuming the same 2.25 multiplier are generally around 1-2 which is way higher than my pool which is always pretty much 0.

What are the recommended levels for FC and CC for a bromine spa kept at 100F?
    Vinyl 18'x36' in-ground 100,000 L, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG, Jandy Lite2 heater, StaRite System3 filter, Evac tube solar heating panels

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: FC/CC readings for bromine spas using chlorine FAS-DPD

Theoretically, bromine should not need to be measured for combined bromine. It should not usually register any CB. However, I have found that it almost always does; although I don't know why.

I would suggest a bromine level of about 4 to 6 ppm. CC or CB should be not more than 0.5.

The reason that you should only need to test for free bromine is that bromine combined with ammonia should register on the free chlorine test. However, there might be other brominated compounds that might not register on the fc test.

There might also be other oxidizing agents in the water such as dissolved oxygen, ozone, monopersulfate, bromate etc.

3. Back To Top    #3

I don't actually have a test for CB since I am using a chlorine test kit or can you convert a CC reading to CB? Is it the same 2.25 mulitplier?
    Vinyl 18'x36' in-ground 100,000 L, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG, Jandy Lite2 heater, StaRite System3 filter, Evac tube solar heating panels

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, you do the CC test and multiply by 2.25.

Do you have an ozonator or do you use MPS?

5. Back To Top    #5

No to ozonator and it appears that the sanitizer that I use is MPS although it is only labeled as chlorine free.

6. Back To Top    #6

Mps will register as CC unless you use the neutralizer to remove the interference.

7. Back To Top    #7

What neutralizer do you mean and where do I get it?

8. Back To Top    #8

The Taylor K-2042 MPS interference remover.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

9. Back To Top    #9

The mps is probably the cause of the CC/CB. However, I have seen bromine tubs that don't use ozone or mps that still get some reaction on the CC/CB test. Bromamines should react with the first part of the test, so I'm not sure what would be causing the reaction on the second part of the test. I test just to see if there is any reaction but without knowing what is causing the reaction, it's hard to know what to do about it other than just following good practices and maintaining adequate bromine levels.