Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Wiring Aquarite SWG 240v Correctly

1. Back To Top    #1

Wiring Aquarite SWG 240v Correctly

Do I wire my AquaRite SWG to the 240v pump load side of relay, or directly to a 240v source? At one place, the install manual says its important to wire to load side of pump relay (and shows diagram). Then it says if remotely controlled, wire directly to 240v source so it is powered at all times--BUT it shows a diagram showing power from load side of pump relay same as stand alone. I'm confused.

George
    18K Pebble Tec pool & spa, Jandy Jep2.0 VS ePump, Jandy CS250 cartridge filter, Sta Rite Maxi Therm 333 propane heater, Hayward Aqua Rite SWG, Heliocol solar panels, remote fill/drain—All controlled by AquaLink RS8 One Touch

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Wiring Aquarite SWG 240v Correctly

Got my answer from Hayward Technologies. They said, "The correct method is to be wired to load side with the pump. Why? We want the Aqua-Rite to only have power when the pump is on to avoid any possibilities of the unit producing chlorine.
    Regards." Looks like the written instructions in the manual is incorrect when wiring for remote control.
    George
    18K Pebble Tec pool & spa, Jandy Jep2.0 VS ePump, Jandy CS250 cartridge filter, Sta Rite Maxi Therm 333 propane heater, Hayward Aqua Rite SWG, Heliocol solar panels, remote fill/drain—All controlled by AquaLink RS8 One Touch

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

It gets even more confusing if you have a VS pump and are using the onboard timer and programming. When I wired mine, since I was using the pump's own timer to turn the pump on and off and change speeds, I wired the pump to receiving power at all times. So if I used that feed for the SWG, the unit would be powered at all times. That is exactly what Hayward didn't want you to do. Although not ideal, I am using a separate timer to turn the SWG on and off. I couldn't come up with another solution other than an expensive automation system.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I am using a VS pump and an aqua rite swg. Mine is hooked to the load side. No issues
    12 x 26 Viking FG IG, Bermuda Model, 3 1/2' to 5', 7000 Gallons, Diamond Series Maya, Hayward 1 1/2 HP Maxflo VS, Hayward Stay Clear Plus Cart Filter C17502(S), Hayward Aqua Rite SWG w/T3 cell, Color Changing FIBERSTAR Lighting, Aqua Bot Supreme Robotic cleaner, Brushed Concrete with CCI Liberty Tan color, Taylor K-2006 test kit, Armor Foundation penetrating concrete sealer(lifetime warranty).

5. Back To Top    #5

I have rewired my system to the load side as per Hayward. However, it may have to put it on its own timer relay, like chiefwej. I have a large solar panel system on the roof that brings the pool up to 90 by noon. If it needs more heat in the afternoon, the solar dumps hot roof water at 150 degrees plus through the SWG. That makes the salt generator pull 10Amps and shut down on high salt.
    George

6. Back To Top    #6

I also don't have solar heat

12 x 26 Viking FG IG, Bermuda Model, 3 1/2' to 5', 7000 Gallons, Diamond Series Maya, Hayward 1 1/2 HP Maxflo VS, Hayward Stay Clear Plus Cart Filter C17502(S), Hayward Aqua Rite SWG w/T3 cell, Color Changing FIBERSTAR Lighting, Aqua Bot Supreme Robotic cleaner, Brushed Concrete with CCI Liberty Tan color, Taylor K-2006 test kit, Armor Foundation penetrating concrete sealer(lifetime warranty).