SLAMing and borates

Apr 26, 2012
Lumberton, TX
I have been following advice on this board for a while and have not had any problems with my pool at all. Now I have a friend with a swampy pool that would like me to help turn it around. I plan to follow the SLAM procedure and add borates to the pool because I believe that is the reason my water is always crystal clear with very little effort. I know that the PH and alkalinity need to be on target before adding borates but I'm not sure if it is best to wait till the SLAMming process is complete and the water is clear. Since the borates help prevent algae I am thinking it may help to go ahead with it as long as the ph and alkalinity are correct. I have only added borates to water that was already clear so I am a little hesitant to add it to the water before it is cleared up. The pool is a 26 X 16 above ground vinyl pool with a sand filer. Any advice is appreciated.

I have been following advice on this board for a while and have not had any problems with my pool at all. Now I have a friend with a swampy pool that would like me to help turn it around. I plan to follow the SLAM procedure and add borates to the pool because I believe that is the reason my water is always crystal clear with very little effort. I know that the PH and alkalinity need to be on target before adding borates but I'm not sure if it is best to wait till the SLAMming process is complete and the water is clear. Since the borates help prevent algae I am thinking it may help to go ahead with it as long as the ph and alkalinity are correct. I have only added borates to water that was already clear so I am a little hesitant to add it to the water before it is cleared up. The pool is a 26 X 16 above ground vinyl pool with a sand filer. Any advice is appreciated.
I suggest you wait on the borates.

He need to SLAM the pool and learn to take care of it before adding the borates.

Yours looks good because you understand and take care of it. He will think the borates are a magic potion to allow him not to worry.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Borates are completely optional, SLAMing the pool is not. Get the water cleared up and balanced. Then if there is concern over pH rising too fast (which is really the only reason to add borates), then consider adding them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.