Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Recommendations for bad swg.

1. Back To Top    #1

Recommendations for bad swg.

Just found out my swg won't be replaced until another week. It is only an year old and already messed up! Anyone have any recommendations on how to keep FC high enough for the next week. I was thinking of turning it off and adding bleach, is this pretty consistent to what you experts do? Also, will adding bleach mess with any of my other chemicals, everything is pretty much on par at this time except for FC.
    17k gallon pool, pentair whisperflo pump 1hp, Pentair FNS Plus 36, SWG Hayward Turbo Cell 15 40,000g, blue quartz with pebble finish landings/bench, ultra pure water cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Recommendations for bad swg.

Quote Originally Posted by jrr View Post
    I was thinking of turning it off and adding bleach, is this pretty consistent to what you experts do?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by jrr View Post
    will adding bleach mess with any of my other chemicals
    No
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

^ Pretty much sums it up
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Just make sure you maintain your FC levels according to what your CYA level is. You'll be treating your pool as a non SWG pool now.
    Have you tried cleaning the cell ? 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, the cell is cleaned every three months. I believe it's something with the actual computer because the light turns off.

About the bleach, any unscented bleach from the store will do???
    17k gallon pool, pentair whisperflo pump 1hp, Pentair FNS Plus 36, SWG Hayward Turbo Cell 15 40,000g, blue quartz with pebble finish landings/bench, ultra pure water cleaner.

6. Back To Top    #6

Yep. Just plain regular bleach. No scents or splashless. I use Walmart's brand. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

7. Back To Top    #7

Just check the date code and that there is an actual strength listed ... usually 8.25% now.

Or see if your pool stores or hardware stores have a better deal on 10% or 12.5% liquid chlorine.

Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Ok, thanks. I'll do that. Do I have to do anything in particular when the salt cell goes back on if I have it on bleach for a week?

9. Back To Top    #9

Nope.

- - - Updated - - -

In fact, if you are ever expecting heavy use, it is usually a good idea to add a little bleach before and/or after to help take care of the waste.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

Maybe just check your PH and adjust if necessary . . Otherwise just let it take over. 😎
    Jeff

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks guys, great advice!

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

What is going on with your salt system? If the display is working, but the power light and generating light are not on it could be a $3 fix.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

13. Back To Top    #13

The power light and generating light turn off and on, mostly stays off. Called the pool company and they checked it out and said they would just switch it out as a result of being under warranty. The actual computer and salt cell are only like 13 months old. Do you believe you know what it could be?