What is this bubbling return jet, why do i have it?

czipper

LifeTime Supporter
May 12, 2014
Long Island, NY
Pretty simple questions:
The return jets at my steps gurgle and spit out bubbles, but the main pool returns do not.

What type of return is this called?
What is it for?
How does it gurgle?
One side gurgles better than the other one, should I try to have it repaired or should I not be concerned?

I have been trying to figure this out all season but so far no luck.

It is hard to tell from the picture but is the return in the wall of the step or at the bottom of the step?

Also, is there a valve on the equipment pad to control flow to those vs the main returns?

It could just be a back jet much like a spa. If you want it strong, you will need to change the flow to the jets. Also, there is usually an air vent somewhere.

I can't get the large version of your photo to load, but my guess would be you have a suction side airleak somewhere, the rubber seal on the pump strainer basket is a common cause, you might try opening it, run your finger along the seal to make sure there are no rough points on it or the mating surface then lubricate it with silicon lubricant (don't use petroleum jelly).

The photo is actually a short video, but the gurgling audio doesn't really play. Here is another way to try to see it

http://s1375.photobucket.com/user/czipper1/media/2014-09-06102954_zpsd51cd7a6.mp4.html?sort=3&o=0

The jets are on the side wall of the fiberglass steps. I doubt very much that it is a suction side leak, it seems that think the jets are designed to bubble and gurgle. There is no way to regulate between these step returns and the the main pool returns. The air vents are inaccessible, they are behind the fiberglass covered by decking. I'd have to pull up the decking to have a look, but I will leave them be if this is actually normal. Both step return jets do it, so I think that it is how they were designed.
What purpose does the bubbling and gurgling serve? these jets are not in a place where they would be useful as a spa jet making me think there is some purpose for them but I don't know what that is. I will go look up back jets now….

I think what you have there is a standard jet and it is supposed to be bubbling like that. My guess it was intended to be used like a spa jet when sitting on the steps. However, it surprises me that they did not provide a way to control the flow rate between the returns and jets. Is there only one return pipe from the pad to the pool?

Yes mas985, there is only one pipe that leads from the filter back to the pool, it all goes underneath decking with no valves above decking apparent. It is possible that a valve is present under the decking, but that makes pretty much no sense so I won't go looking for one. The At the best, the bubbling wouldn't make a very good spa jet, so it seems that this was just a poor design.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.