i know its not algae but.....

May 22, 2011
I have to brush or run the robot everyday or i get this yellow/brown dirt (when whisked with brush) everyday, even with solar cover on. If i dont brush in 4 days the deep end is so cloudy you cant see the bottom. Nothing on sides, this is uniformly on shallow end bottom and half way down slope to deep end.

FC 3
TA 70
CYA 50
CH 290
PH 7.5

did drop test, .5 loss ( if that) and no ccs.... One medium size tree next to pool and many large trees with in 100-200 feet. Pollen ? getting on the whole floor and slopes even with cover on?

Yea cloudy water usually points to a water chemistry issue.
Your CYA is a little low for a SWG. The recommended range is 70-80.
Do you ever see the stuff floating on the surface of the water ? You can use a skimmer sock or nylon knee over your skimmer basket to help filter it out if it's pollen. ?

Cloudiness doesn't really sound like pollen. How long do you run the pump daily?

about 12 hrs....

- - - Updated - - -

Yea cloudy water usually points to a water chemistry issue.
Your CYA is a little low for a SWG. The recommended range is 70-80.
Do you ever see the stuff floating on the surface of the water ? You can use a skimmer sock or nylon knee over your skimmer basket to help filter it out if it's pollen. ��

it really only gets cloudy after i brush the stuff around

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds precisely like dead algae settling to the bottom......why do you think it is not?

well..... cause it always passed the drop test? or because its dead the drop test will still be good? . Btw since i type it this, this am. its already back , mildy but back, SO how do i get rid of it?

thanks guys!

You can kind of get into a stage where you have algae but are killing it as fast as it grows. The symptom is constant brown/yellow "dirt" on the bottom.

That said, your problem may very well be pollen. Do you get the dirt on top of the cover?

If it is algae, SLAMing the pool is the answer.

Your CYA is low for an SWCG, and your chlorine is on the low end. I wonder if your chlorine is dropping below 3ppm in the middle of a sunny day?

I think you should be maintaing higher FC levels. I would raise my CYA level to 70 and target FC at 5-6 and never below 3.
When you touch the stuff does it poof up and disappear ? If it does it's dead algae. ?

I think you should be maintaing higher FC levels. I would raise my CYA level to 70 and target FC at 5-6 and never below 3.
When you touch the stuff does it poof up and disappear ? If it does it's dead algae. ��

i have been "tinkering" with the SWG setting this year ( new cell) and 3 is the lowest its been , most of the summer its been around 7 even then i had the dirt. Yes is does poof up and disappear.

what i dont get is why my over night tests and cc is good. i'll do another drop test tonight.

Here's what I would do.
Tonight bring your FC up to shock level with bleach. Your shock level is 20. Test to make sure it's at shock level. Turn your SWG off and run pump over night. Test in the morning before the sun hits the pool and see if you lost more than 1ppm of FC. If you lose 1ppm or less your good. You also need to have CC of 0.5 or less and crystal clear water. If you don't have all three criteria keep SLAMimg
You also need to vacuum up the dead algae.
Then raise your CYA up to 70 and maintain an FC level of 5-6 and don't let it fall below 3.
Your right on the edge of a full blown algae outbreak IMO. Your chlorine is killing it as it forms now. Maintain higher FC levels and it won't form. ?

i have been "tinkering" with the SWG setting this year ( new cell) and 3 is the lowest its been , most of the summer its been around 7 even then i had the dirt. Yes is does poof up and disappear.

what i dont get is why my over night tests and cc is good. i'll do another drop test tonight.

You can't do an overnight chlorine loss test at target FC levels. That test is only intended to be performed during a SLAM where your FC is at shock level. The OCLT is not valid proof being algae free when performed at target level.

It sounds to me that you are very much on the verge of an algae bloom. You CYA is too low as well as your FC. What output level is your SWG running at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.