Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Use of Clorox liquid bleach.

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Use of Clorox liquid bleach.

Can I use Clorox liquid bleach periodically during the winter to maintain a small about of Free Chlorine in the closed pool?

18,000 gallons, IG, vinyl, DE Hayward, Hayward single speed pump, pool built 2006, Taylor test kit, SWG.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Use of Clorox liquid bleach.

My guess is only if you can run the pump. Seeing up that you are in PA, I doubt that would work. If you close after the water temperature is under 60 degrees, and open before rising above 60, you should be okay.

Here is the article on closing for AGPs

http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...ove-group-pool
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the reply. The reason I ask is because I have used the floating cartridges that slowly dispense chlorine to protect the pool from algae until the water gets cold enough to avoid algae problems. These floating cartridges dispense chlorine and therefore I thought that pouring small amounts of Clorox around the perimeter of the pool under the safety cover would accomplish the same thing. I still wonder why that would not be possible.

4. Back To Top    #4

Use of Clorox liquid bleach.

I agree with PAgirl. You need some way to circulate into water. And if like me you close the pool and blow out/anti-freeze the lines, turning on the pump is not an option. I guess you could add some and somehow manually cycle the water, but as mentioned, below 60 degrees it will not matter for algae.

This is an IG pool PAgirl.

30x20 vinyl IG, Hayward SD60 with Pentair Dynamo 340219 2HP pump, Compupool CPSC24 SWG, Hayward H200FDN heater. APC automatic pool cover.
    Central Illinois

5. Back To Top    #5

The floating full of chlorine cartridge in a closed pool then presents no problem?

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Trier View Post
    Thanks for the reply. The reason I ask is because I have used the floating cartridges that slowly dispense chlorine to protect the pool from algae until the water gets cold enough to avoid algae problems. These floating cartridges dispense chlorine and therefore I thought that pouring small amounts of Clorox around the perimeter of the pool under the safety cover would accomplish the same thing. I still wonder why that would not be possible.
    It is obviously possible to do, but it really isn't doing much more than making you feel better. Without circulation in the pool (pump running) you end up with hot spots of highly chlorinated water around the floater (or edge of the pool if you use the bleach) and no or little chlorine anywhere else. The chlorine can't mix without circulation.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks tim5055 for the explanation of the hot spots of highly chlorinated water around the floater. I guess the PolyQuat is going to have to take care of the situation until the cold weather hits.

8. Back To Top    #8

In an uncirculated pool the chlorine may sink to the bottom. The same is true for the chlorine in the tabs. But try it and see what happens.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by bdex View Post
    I agree with PAgirl. You need some way to circulate into water. And if like me you close the pool and blow out/anti-freeze the lines, turning on the pump is not an option. I guess you could add some and somehow manually cycle the water, but as mentioned, below 60 degrees it will not matter for algae.

This is an IG pool PAgirl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whoops, don't know why I thought AGP.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

10. Back To Top    #10

With Trichlor tabs in a floating feeder with no circulation, it's not just the high chlorine levels but the very low pH that can be damaging especially to vinyl. So unless you were to tie that floater to stay in the middle of the pool, you could damage your vinyl if the floater stayed in one place for too long near the edge. When I first used Trichlor tabs in my pool over 10 years ago, my floating dispenser parked itself near some stainless steel mounts in the pool and rusted them and this was during the swim season, not over the winter. Just having the feeder there with the pump off for around 16 hours per day was enough to cause the damage.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks chem geek and everyone else for the very good input.

12. Back To Top    #12

Trier, You should SLAM the pool and cover. It will be fine. If you can leave the pool open til the water gets colder, all the better but if you must close now, just SLAM to your CYA level and open around mid April.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek View Post
    With Trichlor tabs in a floating feeder with no circulation, it's not just the high chlorine levels but the very low pH that can be damaging especially to vinyl. So unless you were to tie that floater to stay in the middle of the pool, you could damage your vinyl if the floater stayed in one place for too long near the edge. When I first used Trichlor tabs in my pool over 10 years ago, my floating dispenser parked itself near some stainless steel mounts in the pool and rusted them and this was during the swim season, not over the winter. Just having the feeder there with the pump off for around 16 hours per day was enough to cause the damage.
    Yeah. I accidentally left a floater with residual trichlor pucks over winter one year(prior to TFP) and ended up with a nice bleached out streak on my 1 year old liner in the deep end. Definitely a no- no.
    20,000 Gallons Vinyl 16x32 Inground with Stamped concrete decking. Hayward Sand Filter. DIY Diaphragm pump injection system. K-2006C Test Kit.
    450 Gallons Standalone Acrylic CALSPA 2006.
    Canadians, Get your test kit here!.