Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: I'm chicken to take my light out...tell me it's ok?

  1. Back To Top    #1
    Sandra B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Shreveport, LA
    Posts
    103

    I'm chicken to take my light out...tell me it's ok?

    I've had my pool for 4 years now, using TFP for 3 of them, and I love my pool! I have never cleaned inside my light niche because I'm chicken to take out an electric light in water!!!!! And I work for an electric company. So, if I turn off the 2 breakers in my pool breaker box where my light switch is, and get in the water to take the screw out and take the light out (it's too low in the pool to do it from the side, and anyways whether I'm fully in the pool or only partially when I get electrocuted it won't matter), then you SWEAR to me I won't get electrocuted????? Is there water in the niche, so that if there was a short or an exposed wire, it would have already shorted out so that's how I know the unit is intact? The light works fine now, I just want to see what's behind it, if it doesn't kill me.

    Thanks!
    18,000 gallon freeform inground plaster
    Jandy 1.5 hp pump & .75 hp booster pump
    Aquapure SWG
    Pentair Triton II sand filter
    Legend pressure-side vacuum

  2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad jblizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    37,389

    Re: I'm chicken to take my light out...tell me it's ok?

    Yes there is water in the niche. The light assembly is sealed. So your odds of electrocution (which are zero if the breaker is off anyways) are the same whether the light is in the niche or hanging out of it. There is a wire coiled up behind the fixture so you can lift it onto the deck.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

  3. Back To Top    #3

    TFP Guide

    chiefwej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Tucson
    Posts
    2,853

    Re: I'm chicken to take my light out...tell me it's ok?

    The light is sealed in a housing. The housing is held in the pool niche by a single screw. Removing that screw will allow the housing to be removed from the niche, but the housing remains sealed. There is a cord comming out of the back of the housing that is coiled in the niche behind the housing. That allows you to bring the light housing up out of the water and rest it on the pool deck in order to open it and replace the bulb. That same cord runs through a conduit that is flooded with pool water and comes up to a junction box well above the pool water level, somewhere in your equipment area. If the light housing is opened you should replace the seal with a new one. If you just want to clean out the niche behind the light Do Not Open The Housing.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

  4. Back To Top    #4

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Friendswood, Tx
    Posts
    1

    Re: I'm chicken to take my light out...tell me it's ok?

    One thing I discovered is if there is any water in the light housing you run a good chance of tripping the GFCI that protects the light. So after moving the light housing if you lose power, look for the GFCI to be tripped. Once reset you should have no problems.

  5. Back To Top    #5
    Sandra B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Shreveport, LA
    Posts
    103

    Re: I'm chicken to take my light out...tell me it's ok?

    Thanks everyone! I feel better; I'm going to do it.
    18,000 gallon freeform inground plaster
    Jandy 1.5 hp pump & .75 hp booster pump
    Aquapure SWG
    Pentair Triton II sand filter
    Legend pressure-side vacuum

  6. Back To Top    #6
    Divin Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Longview, Texas
    Posts
    4,926

    Re: I'm chicken to take my light out...tell me it's ok?

    LOL... Im sorry, but the part about swearing to you that wont get electrocuted just cracked me up!




    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra B View Post
    I've had my pool for 4 years now, using TFP for 3 of them, and I love my pool! I have never cleaned inside my light niche because I'm chicken to take out an electric light in water!!!!! And I work for an electric company. So, if I turn off the 2 breakers in my pool breaker box where my light switch is, and get in the water to take the screw out and take the light out (it's too low in the pool to do it from the side, and anyways whether I'm fully in the pool or only partially when I get electrocuted it won't matter), then you SWEAR to me I won't get electrocuted????? Is there water in the niche, so that if there was a short or an exposed wire, it would have already shorted out so that's how I know the unit is intact? The light works fine now, I just want to see what's behind it, if it doesn't kill me.

    Thanks!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

  7. Back To Top    #7

    TFP Guide

    chiefwej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Tucson
    Posts
    2,853

    Re: I'm chicken to take my light out...tell me it's ok?

    One more caution. Never turn the light on unless it is sealed up and under water. It will overheat and ruin the bulb.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

  8. Back To Top    #8
    PeteMorris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Posts
    19

    Re: I'm chicken to take my light out...tell me it's ok?

    Sandra, please check back in so I won't be up all night wondering if you are ok.
    15' x 30', 13,500 Gal, Inground Plaster Pool . . . Florida Gem Exposed Aggregate Finish . . . Agua-Rite T-3 SWG
    3/4 H.P. Century Centruion Pump . . . Pentair Triniton II, TR60 Sand Filter . . . Hayward AquaVav Tiger Shark Robotic Pool Cleaner
    No shirt . . . No shoes . . . No problems!!

  9. Back To Top    #9

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    Posts
    112

    Re: I'm chicken to take my light out...tell me it's ok?

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteMorris View Post
    Sandra, please check back in so I won't be up all night wondering if you are ok.
    Didn't hear back from her? Guess she didn't make it. Who want to revise the "how to remove a pool light" procedure?
    30,000 plaster in-ground pool with spa; 2.5HP single speed Centurion pump; Raypak RP2100 propane heater; Polaris 280 with pump, waterfall with separate pump, Triton II commercial sand filter; TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •