Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Still struggling with algae after TFP'ing all summer

1. Back To Top    #1

Still struggling with algae after TFP'ing all summer

I've been using the TFP method the last two seasons and it was excellent. Unfortunately, this summer has been ****.
    I take readings all the time, using a Taylor 2006.
    Current reading FC11, CC0, pH 7.6, TA 80, CH 175, T 76, Stab 100, Borate 50
    It started with small patches of light green on the bottom of the pool in July. The stabiliser was 60 then.
    I shocked the pool and went on vacation, whereapon my pool turned Green after 3 days. Somehow stabiliser measured 0 by someone and someone added another bucket of stabiliser to raise it to 80-90.
    When I got back, due to high stabiliser, I had to raise my FC levels to crazy levels for 2-3 days (40-50) before I cleared out the green and had no loss of FC overnight, no CC, and clear water. Filter cleared out the grey stuff and backwashed.
    I then let my FC drift down to 6, but after a week, I've had the small patches of light green return. I've increased the FC to 11-12 but it doesn't seem to be helping. It's been like this a month or so.

My wife is going crazy brushing the pool and vacuuming every other day or so. I tried a clarifier product with not much effect. I added borates which resulted in really nice clear water, but hasn't stoped the light green patches. I also removed the ladder (found some green on the inside of the rubber bumper and bleached the heck out of it) and scrubbed the skimmer like crazy after noting some green there, scrubbed the light, steps etc like crazy for weeks as well.

My neighbour swears by weekly algaecide and I'm starting to think I should give it a shot. I have Poly oxyethylene dimethylmi... dichloride 40% that I soak my pool cover in over the summer. Is it time to add this to the mix weekly? What would be the down side? We only have a few more weeks before I close the pool for the season.

Starting to lose the faith, Tim
    Oval pool, Aqua Rite SWG
    80000 l, 22000 Gal
    Vinyl liner, Sand filter, natural gas heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Still struggling with algae after TFP'ing all summer

There's a lot to get into here, but the first thing that jumps out at me is your CYA (stabilizer) of 100. Most every time I see someone post a CYA value of 100, three posts later they do an extended test (diluted sample) and find the CYA value is much higher than 100. So...

Have you done the extended CYA test?
    IG gunite 20k Gal (estimate), Nautilus NS-60 filter (D.E.), Single speed pump (unreadable nameplate - assume 1HP) on a crappy mechanical timer.
    And a worn-out Kreepy Kraully. TF-100.

3. Back To Top    #3

Dittos to what Desterline stated. The chlorine to CYA ratio is the cornerstone principle of the TFP method. Here's the Extended Test Kit Directions on how to test for CYA levels greater than 100 (see Post #8).
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I agree with the above posts. Algae grows when there is not enough chlorine in your pool. When your CYA is so very high it is almost impossible to keep enough chlorine.
    My neighbour swears by weekly algaecide and I'm starting to think I should give it a shot. I have Poly oxyethylene dimethylmi... dichloride 40% that I soak my pool cover in over the summer. Is it time to add this to the mix weekly?
    That's your call but you won't find that suggestion anywhere in the TFPC method
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I agree with the others. Your CYA/Stabilizer is probably higher than you think, meaning you are keeping the FC too low.

As Bo indicated you need to do a diluted CYA test. But as you dilute you loose a little accuracy each time. 100 is the limit of the CYA test, so you have to do a diluted test to determine if you are above that. While the full instructions are in the Pool School, here is the short version. Mix 50% pool water with 50% tap water. Use this mixed sample as your test water. If still at a 100 you will need to dilute more. Here is a great chart by JamesW to explain dilution rates and what you multiply the results by to get an approximation of your CYA level.

Algaecide is not going to be the magic potion to solve your problems with your pool.
    Pool water......Tap or distilled water.........Multiply result by

TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon