New Hayward AquaRite Goldline SWG

Aug 13, 2014
Seaford, NY
I just installed a new AquaRite Goldline SWG, with a T-15 40K Cell yesterday. Three days before the install, I put in 720 pounds of salt. Since the install, the pump has been running for more than 36 hours along with the SWG. The power light is on, but the generating light is off. In addition, the "Check Salt" and "inspect cell" lights are on. The salt level reads 1900 and has not changed since it was turned on more than 36 hours ago. I check the salt level with a test strip (came with the AquaRite - waiting for Taylor kit on order from Amazon), and it reads between 3000-3400. I know that there's enough salt in the pool - the manual suggests adding 640 pounds of salt to get to 3400 ppm, so I'm more than certain that I have enough salt in there.

I'm not sure what I should do next. Please advise.

How many gallons is the pool? one thing in have found with the Hayward salt system if you get the salt level to high. It will freak the system out and cause it to read low. And you know it's higher then that. If you have a local pool store, you may want to take a sample in and let them test it and see what they get.

Putting the salt in a few days ago won't matter, as long as it has all dissolved.
According to pool math, if your fill water had no salt, adding 720 lb to a 25K gallon pool should put you at 3600 ppm.
Link: http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Have you checked the "Instant Salinity" with the diagnostic button? What does it read?

If it is the same ~ 1900 ppm range, I'd check for a bad/dirty connection where the cell plugs into the control unit. If that is good, I'd suspect a bad or scaly cell. Does the inside of the cell look clean? If it is a cell issue, I suggest you contact your supplier for a replacement.

Mike

The Taylor test kit for salt content just arrived and two tests revealed a salt level of 4200. I guess my next move is to drain the pool and add water. Any idea how much to drain?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm assuming that the level is 4200 because I already had some salt in my pool; I assumed that there was 0, so that's why I added 720 pounds. Never assume ... Also, why would the unit read "check salt" as opposed to "high salt"?

- - - Updated - - -

poolmath shows that I have to drain 19% of water in my pool with new water to go from 4200 ppm to 3400 ppm ... how many inches of water is that? It's 4,560 gallons, but I don't know how that gets translated into inches of water to evacuate from my pool

My salt test always comes up around 4000ppm, but the SWG reports around 3400ppm ... so I would not necessarily start draining just yet.

Are the lights flashing or solid?

If it thought the salt level was high, it should show the high salt light.

I would have the cell tested.

do I take 19% of the average depth of my pool (5' 6") to get 12.54" of water to evacuate?

- - - Updated - - -

The lights are solid,.

The cell is brand new, right out of the box, not more than 3 days old.

How do I remove the cell? - Nevermind ... google is my best friend. I guess I should just take the cell to my local Leslies and have them test it?

Unscrew the unions and unplug it from the controller.

The solid lights just indicate that it thinks the salt level is too low and thus will not generate. Something is either wrong with the cell of the controller.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I decided against taking the Cell to Leslies to be tested and instead drained about 7 inches of water from the pool and refilled it with 10 inches of water, then retested it with the Taylor test kit. The test revealed a salt concentration of 4000. I will drain more water today and see if I can get it down to 3400.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.