Algae bloom second time around in a month

Donny

Feb 1, 2014
Upstate, NY
Hello everyone. I have noticed some slight algae again in my pool. Chlorine levels in the 5 range. I also noticed that one of the skimmer doors gets caught up and does not flap freely, could this cause an algae problem due to the circulation of water being reduced ??? The first algae bloom I had I noticed the same thing with the skimmer door. I have been running the pump 24/7 since the first outbreak of algae. Do you get algae only because a lack of Chlorine or what??? Thanks.

What test kit are you using and can you post a full set of test results ?
If you've got algae your FC must be too low for your CYA level. We need to know accurately what your CYA level is. How are you chlorinating your pool now ?
To take care of the algae your going to have follow the SLAM Process. You'll need one of these Test Kits to SLAM the pool. Take time and review the process. ?

Algae is due to inadequate chlorine in the water ... and the required FC level is a function of your CYA level. See the FC/CYA Chart.

You do not mention your CYA, so who knows if a FC of 5ppm is enough ...

Now if you have pour circulation, then you could get localized areas where the FC drops too low and some algae could form there ... but that is not typical. I went 2 weeks in the AZ summer without a pump (no water movement) and did not get an algae.

Hi Donny,
you get algae because of incorrect FC to CYA ratio/ levels.

I suspect if you test your water with a reliable test kit, your CYA will be at such a level, that your FC level of 5 is insufficient to control the algae.
Your skimmer flap being stuck may be hindering the skimming, but is not the cause of the algae. If your circulation was that poor, your pump would be sucking air and cavitating.

If you dont have one, a reliable test kit is available at www.tftestkits.net Most folks here will recommend the TF-100 with the XL option.
Once you know what your water is by testing, you will need to know what to do from there. If you follow these instructions, you will clear the pool of algae. Its a process though, not a none time shot, so dont expect a magic fix, it's not. It took a while for your pool to grow algae and will take a while to get rid of it.
SLAM the pool is the answer. http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/125-slam-shock-level-and-maintain-shockingl

You will need to use Pool Math in order to determine how much chlorine to add to get to slam level. Use Pool Math to do that.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Your FC level required to kill the algae is the Shock level ... see the chart in teh link. In order to know your shock FC level though, you need to know the CYA, http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock

Thank you guys for the replies. I'm using the test kit I purchased from here, the TF 100. My CYA is 100, I think I let the chlorine level get too low as I now understand the FC/CYA chart. I should be at minimum 7. Also I use the auto-chlorinator with the pucks.

The test only reads to 100. It's probably higher. Use half tap water and half pool water and retest. Take your reading and multiply it by 2.
I'm going to recommend a partial drain and refill to lower your CYA level. If you could get it down to 50 that would be good. It's too high for a SLAM at 100 or higher. Pool Math will tell you how much water you need to replace.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was actually thinking of going to a SWG next year. Does the salt damage stamped concrete decking or a architectural stone waterfall??

I have Arizona flagstone coping and acid-finished concrete decking around the pool. At the concentrations required for an SWG (~3500ppm or 1/10th the concentration of seawater) your decking and stone could develop some white crust here or there but it is typically not going to damage anything (no worse than what being outside in the elements will do to it). So you do have to be a bit more conscientious about rinsing down your decking after heavy bather drag out, but that's just spraying down with the garden hose.

Some people feel the need to use concrete and stone sealing chemicals, but my opinion is that they're not worth the headache and cost of applying them every season or so and it's just one more thing that can stain or damage your hardscape. Just keep it rinsed and clean and you'll do fine.

You can always double check with your PB or a stone mason to see if they have any particular concerns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.