Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Removal of AO Smith s48b74a03 back housing

1. Back To Top    #1

Removal of AO Smith s48b74a03 back housing

My 16 year old pump died and I'm hoping it's just the capacitor. I am trying to take apart an AO Smith s48b74a03...specifically the back housing (unsure this is the correct term) where the electrical comes in.. This is part of an AquaTools pump/filter.

I took the four long bolts off the back (2 on top, 2 on the bottom).

I pried the the back housing off a bit and it spins a little (a few inches in each direction) but it will not come off. It seems like something is still holding it in place.

I am applying a lot of force with various tools. Any tricks to this?

Thanks in advance.
    Steve

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Removal of AO Smith s48b74a03 back housing

I would recommend replacing the pump. There is no capacitor and the through bolts are likely sheared off. 16 years is a very good run.

3. Back To Top    #3

Guessing from its age that any effort to repair may not be worthwhile but if your still interested at looking inside, I'm guessing the motor shaft may be hanging up on the bearing by a little rust. Unless you have a good selection of saw horses and bars to support the motor, you could get a friend to hold the motor by the end plate, with the motor hanging downwards in mid air, while you tap on the shaft with a punch and hammer. Have something soft for the motor to land on. Your friend will need strong fingers and leathery skin. Good luck.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks JamesW and gtemkin . I didn't see your reply until just now.

I ended up just leaving the fix for the spring. I am going to replace the entire pump as 16 years is a good life of the original. I believe what helped is every year after draining the filter and pump, I would drag them into the shed to keep them out of the elements. We get a ton of snow here and the pump would just sit in feet of snow and rust out. I had zero issues with it until this past summer.

Thanks again for the advice.