Draining pool without pump?

Sep 8, 2014
Los Angeles CA
15006133868_8b2e165253_z.jpg

15005902129_6263d0ae70_z.jpg

15169689086_5629f97b7f_z.jpg

15192325572_942a362488_z.jpg

okay so I decided to do a half drain of the pool. Haven't found documentation for the pump so I'm not sure what the settings on the second and fourth picture are. Usually when its been drained before we'd simply hook a hose into the skimmer hole shown above, twisted the plug on the filter canister open, pulled up the lever shown in the fourth picture and turn on the filter pump. Driven by the pump water would flow through to some drain that led to the sewer.

Unfortunately doing it this way it seemed to me that it wouldn't work when the water level got more than a couple feet lower and I'm afraid if the hose somehow popped off and water stopped coming into the filter the pump might be damaged.

There is a drain at the bottom of the pool. I was wondering if with this setup there would be a way to drain the pool without having to turn the filter pump on and risk damaging it. Is there a setting I could switch between depending upon whether I wanted to wash out the DE or not wash it out with the draining water?

Thanks

If one of the pipes in front of the pump is just to the floor, then you may be able to isolate the floor drain and pump the water out from there (this assumes that those old valves would actually seal off the skimmer) ... BUT ... you should not pump out the water through the backwash valve because you will collect any debris in the water in the DE grids and may damage them.

You would need to replace the push/pull backwash valve with a multi-valve if you want a waste setting. Or, add a 3-way valve between the pump and filter and use it as a waste valve, looks like you have plenty of room to add one.

If one of the pipes in front of the pump is just to the floor, then you may be able to isolate the floor drain and pump the water out from there (this assumes that those old valves would actually seal off the skimmer) ... BUT ... you should not pump out the water through the backwash valve because you will collect any debris in the water in the DE grids and may damage them.

You would need to replace the push/pull backwash valve with a multi-valve if you want a waste setting. Or, add a 3-way valve between the pump and filter and use it as a waste valve, looks like you have plenty of room to add one.

Do you know what that valve is in the second picture? I think it is controls the flow of water maybe but I don't know how to operate it. Also the fourth picture all I know is that pushed down water flows normally when the pump is running and pulled up it flows into the drainage.

Ooh, there is an automated actuator on that valve, so you can not turn it manually. Flip the switch on the actuator and see if it moves.

Alright so the thing seems to alternate between the 6 o clock and the 3 o clock position shown. Nothing happens unless I turn on the pump in which case in the 6 o clock the water pours out into the same drainage that it pours out of when the valve in the fourth picture is pulled up and the pump is on.

Unfortunately since the pump is still running we still have the same problem of it potentially getting damaged so that isn't the solution. Plus my fiddling caused a persistent rumble in the pipes that didn't go away even when things shut off. Any other ideas? I can add further pictures if you need more details.

Are there any risks to a halfway drain if you immediately start filling it up with a hose?

More pictures would help. I can not see where all the pipes are going. Very odd that to have an actuator on a valve that seems to just pump to waste.

Why do you think you are going to damage the pump? Did you turn off the skimmer suction?

Additional pics

Pump and pipe overview
15015512460_efa61c706d_b.jpg

Top view
15015523350_174e3bcde6_b.jpg

Upper left corner of overview detail. Pipes go into ground. Don't know where they come out.
15015623638_46560e6fc7_b.jpg

Bottom Right hand side detail. Pipes lead up to roof.
15201840542_6d1bcb6eb2_b.jpg

Outside of pump house
15202207135_a9b8ecf991_b.jpg

Drainage: Water flows out when push pull valve is pulled up or actuator valve is turned to six o clock position.
15202212455_5f9e3c7802_b.jpg

Pretty sure these are probably related more to the sprinkler system but I just included it for completeness sake
15015683280_8e16ed48c9_b.jpg

15201975462_8b219b341c_b.jpg

Oh, you have a solar heater system? Well that automated valve would be turning on and off the solar heating ... should be no water to the waste pipe when the solar valve is turned.

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The pipe that goes underground right in front of the pump is the one that must be the return line to the pool. The one that goes underground to the right is the waste pipe.

When you turn on the solar, all the water should go to the bottom of your top view picture, to the solar panels, and then back along the lower pipe on the left through the check valve and right back to the pool. It should not result in any water going to the waste pipe.

What happens to the pressure on the filter and the flow into the pool when you turned on the solar?
What is that pipe connected to "outside of the pump house"?

- - - Updated - - -

What is your ground water level? If you have high ground water, then the pool can float out of the ground if you drain it well below the groundwater level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.