Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Damaged threads on pvc in pool wall

1. Back To Top    #1

Damaged threads on pvc in pool wall

Our in ground pool is still under construction and the liner is set to be installed in a few days. We noticed that the threads on one of the pvc pipes leading into the pool are damaged. Not sure if this is a water line or where a LED light will go. The PB thinks it is fine since he was able to screw in a plug, but I'm concerned with future leaks. Are these pvc pipes replaceable? Should we demand a new one or will trying to remove this from the wall of the pool cause more problems? Just trying to avoid any future headaches or create new ones.

There are 4 of these on the wall of the pool. 2 are for LED lights.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...ps9d1c9e46.jpg

Here are the damaged threads.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...ps21c6f80a.jpg
    http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...ps7e79326f.jpg

Thanks,
    IG 21,600 vinyl gal 38'x20' 3.5'/8', Pentair Sand Dollar SD80 filter, Pentair 1.5HP pump, Auto Pilot Salt Chlorine Generator RC 28. 2 LED lights, 2 bubblers.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Damaged threads on pvc in pool wall

Welcome to TFP!

I think I'd at the very least have him agree to warranty that fitting fully including all labor and materials to replace it if it doesn't work. I wouldn't like it, but they are going to make a mess taking it out now.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

You don't have anything to worry about. That will not cause an issue.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the suggestion and reassurance. Contract indicates a 1 year warranty. Not sure if this is standard, but I was surprised to see this based on how much we're spending to have this built.
    IG 21,600 vinyl gal 38'x20' 3.5'/8', Pentair Sand Dollar SD80 filter, Pentair 1.5HP pump, Auto Pilot Salt Chlorine Generator RC 28. 2 LED lights, 2 bubblers.

5. Back To Top    #5

As long as the return fitting or whatever goes on there threaded in no worries. It does not have to seal, it's all wet. I had to cut out a piece of pipe from a return fitting because someone (not me) twisted the wrong way on an aerator that was in there and bound it up. Left behind some thread damage, but still works fine.

30x20 vinyl IG, Hayward SD60 with Pentair Dynamo 340219 2HP pump, Compupool CPSC24 SWG, Hayward H200FDN heater. APC automatic pool cover.
    Central Illinois

6. Back To Top    #6

The threads on the fittings in my 35 year old pool look far worse than that and have not caused a problem yet (PVC gets brittle with age), however I will probably have them changed next time I have the liner redone again. Since all they do is hold the fitting (eyeball, etc.) in place as long as it screws in you are fine.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~