Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ph question with SWG

1. Back To Top    #1

Ph question with SWG

So, ever since having a Aqua Rite SWG installed, I am having trouble controlling my Ph. I can get it down to the 7.4-7.5 range for a few hours with the addition of Acid and then in creeps back up to 7.9-8.0 range. I so have a waterfall and read on this site that the waterfall might be casing the higher Ph. Here are my numbers, what so you suggest.

FC 5-6 range
    CYA 100
    Alk: 70
    Cal: 180
    Salt:3400
    PH: 7.9 - 8.0.

I have did turn the waterfall off this morning to see if this has an impact.

What should my next steps be? Pool water is clear and algae free.
    16,275 gallon IG Pool
    Hayward VS pump
    No spa

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ph question with SWG

The waterfall raises your pH - any aeration (i.e. moving water) raises pH.

I have a 4' sheer decent waterfall and have to add muratic acid regularly to keep the pH in check. It is just part of having a waterfall.

Stop by Lowes and pick up a gallon of Muratic Acid in the paint department. Use Pool Math to figure out how much you need to add.

Turning off the waterfall will reduce your pH rise.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Ph question with SWG

Let's see if the water fall being off has any affect. You may need to use it less to keep PH in check.
    Your TA looks good. Your CYA is high. For a SWG we suggest it's in the 70-80 ppm range. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by pwrstrk View Post
    Your TA looks good. Your CYA is high. For a SWG we suggest it's in the 70-80 ppm range. ��
    Darn, I missed that.

As 100 is the limit of the CYA test, so you have to do a diluted test. While the full instructions are in the Pool School, here is the short version. Mix 50% pool water with 50% tap water. Use this mixed sample as your test water. If still at a 100 you will need to dilute more. Here is a great chart by JamesW to explain dilution rates and what you multiply the results by to get an approximation of your CYA level.

Pool water......Tap or distilled water.........Multiply result by

TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

Some here are able to control their pH by lowering TA and keeping aeration to a minimum. I'm not able to get TA lower than 70 because of my high TA fill water and I also have a spill over spa (it's not really a waterfall--the water spills over and falls anywhere from 0-1" depending on the water level). So I just accept the fact that I need to add about a quart of MA each week to lower pH from around 8.0. Except for topping up CYA and borates, it's about all I have to add to my pool. For me, it still beats hauling gallons of bleach each week and adding it every day.
    9,200 gal. Gunite Luna Quartz French Grey pool with spill over spa, two fountains on tanning ledge (rarely used)
    Pentair Whisperflo 2HP, Pentair CCP Cartridge 420 Sq. Ft., Polaris 280 with booster pump
    Pentair EasyTouch 4, RayPak LoNox 266k Natural Gas heater, Aqua Rite SWCG T Cell 9, Borates, TF-100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Adding borates would help stabilize the pH. They won't reduce the total amount of acid you will need to add, just keep the pH from bouncing so quickly. You acid additions become larger but less frequent.

But, a SWG always causes pH rise and any water feature that aerates the water will also cause pH rise. Just the nature of the things.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

If you have the time and money to spend, you could also consider an acid injection system that runs on a time-based method (duty cycle method). Pentair sells their IntelliPH systems which is nothing more than an acid Stenner pump that feeds acid into the water stream at a rate you program into it (usually percentage of a fixed time period only while SWG is running). I'm sure Hayward sells a similar system.

Others might suggest a system that uses a pH probe to automate the control signal (Pentair IntelliChem system) but my opinion is that is overkill for most residential pools and adds an extra layer of expense for probe replacement.

You can look up IntelliPH on the Chemical Automation Threads to see what others have done.

Roughly a $1000 for the system.

8. Back To Top    #8

[QUOTE=SunnyOptimism;728440]If you have the time and money to spend, you could also consider an acid injection system that runs on a time-based method (duty cycle method). Pentair sells their IntelliPH systems which is nothing more than an acid Stenner pump that feeds acid into the water stream at a rate you program into it (usually percentage of a fixed time period only while SWG is running).

An acid dispenser would be dreamy...I will add that to my wish list.

Heather
    28,000 gallon, gunite, IntelliChlor IC40 SWG, Pentair filter, attached spa
    28,000 IG, gunite, IntelliChlor IC40 SWG with SPA,
    Intellichlor/VS Pentair
    Norman, OK

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Hemess View Post

An acid dispenser would be dreamy...I will add that to my wish list.

Heather
    28,000 gallon, gunite, IntelliChlor IC40 SWG, Pentair filter, attached spa
    An IntelliPH was in my pool build plan but had to get cut in order to bring down the equipment budget. It's now on my bucket-list for the pool.

10. Back To Top    #10

I have given up trying to keep my PH from raising. I put in from 20-40 oz's every 3 to 4 days. I can live with that as that seems to be the only chemical I need to put into the pool thanks to everyones guidance here.
    43 x 19 Gunite Pool w/ spa and fire pit, 19,000 gallons, Pebble Sheen Aqua Blue finish, Jandy 2 HP VS E-pump, Jandy 580 sq ft Cartridge Filter, Jandy LXI 400k Heater, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG, 4 Jandy LED color lights, Aqualink PDA and Iaqualink, Polaris 280 with Booster Pump. Polaris 9550 Robot Cleaner. 1 HP Silencer Air Blower for Spa http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...NAL-INSPECTION

11. Back To Top    #11

Borates moved my acid additions from every other day to every 4 -5 days