Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Wind under winter cover. Help?

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Ottawa, On, Canada
    Posts
    32

    Wind under winter cover. Help?

    So the past couple years I've had a heck of a time with our 27' above ground pool's winter cover. Before and after the pool freezes wind gets underneath the winter cover, pushes all the water to one side of the pool, and puffs it up like giant balloon. I've already started seeing damage to the cover in areas that are being buffeted the most, so I'd like to solve it this year.

    In the past I've tried:
    -Jugs of water inside the edge of the pool. Turns out the wind was strong enough to toss them out of the pool.
    -Plastic wrap around the outside of the pool. Didn't stop the wind and blew off in the middle of the winter.
    -Air cushion in middle of pool. I was hoping it wold prevent the water from moving around... but it didn't.

    My only other idea is to line the inside edge of the pool with water bags, but that's going to cost >$50 and I don't even know if it's going to work.

    Does anyone anyone have any suggestion or advice?
    27' AG Round (~17000 Gallons or 64000 L)
    Hayward 1.5 HP Power Flo Matrix Pump (2 speed usually run 6hrs high 18hrs low)
    Hayward CC150CAN XStream Cartridge Filter (150 ft^2 120 GPM)
    Hayward AquaTrol SWG
    Installed April 2012

  2. Back To Top    #2
    pwrstrk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Elverson Pa.
    Posts
    4,758

    Re: Wind under winter cover. Help?

    Have you tried hanging the jugs outside of the pool ?
    This is a good cover if your having wind problems.
    http://hurricaneabovegroundpoolcovers.com/
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

  3. Back To Top    #3

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Ottawa, On, Canada
    Posts
    32

    Re: Wind under winter cover. Help?

    Quote Originally Posted by pwrstrk View Post
    Have you tried hanging the jugs outside of the pool ?
    This is a good cover if your having wind problems.
    http://hurricaneabovegroundpoolcovers.com/
    Unfortunately we get far too much snow here for a cover like that. I know those covers will support "some snow" but the amount of snow we get would likely collapse the walls.
    27' AG Round (~17000 Gallons or 64000 L)
    Hayward 1.5 HP Power Flo Matrix Pump (2 speed usually run 6hrs high 18hrs low)
    Hayward CC150CAN XStream Cartridge Filter (150 ft^2 120 GPM)
    Hayward AquaTrol SWG
    Installed April 2012

  4. Back To Top    #4

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sheboygan Falls, WI
    Posts
    5

    Re: Wind under winter cover. Help?

    My local pool store makes these out of flexible spa hose with one union and a t fitting for filling this ring up with pool antifreeze that goes around the entire inner circumference of the pool on top of the pool cover. Last year was my first winter with it but it worked fantastic. The weight of the antifreeze all the way around really keeps the cover down before the snow and ice keeps it in check. My pool is very much unprotected from those strong winter winds. I have a little pump to extract the antifreeze back into the jugs to reuse year after year.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Swim'n Play Above Ground 24' x 52" Islamorada
    Hayward Sand Filter w/ Power-Flo Matrix® 1-1/2 2 spd Pump
    Hayward AquaTrol SWG
    Hayward Aqua Solar Pool Control
    Maytronics SOLARA (2) 2’ x 4’ Solar Pool Heater Panels

  5. Back To Top    #5

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Ottawa, On, Canada
    Posts
    32

    Re: Wind under winter cover. Help?

    Quote Originally Posted by SASOakMan View Post
    My local pool store makes these out of flexible spa hose with one union and a t fitting for filling this ring up with pool antifreeze that goes around the entire inner circumference of the pool on top of the pool cover. Last year was my first winter with it but it worked fantastic. The weight of the antifreeze all the way around really keeps the cover down before the snow and ice keeps it in check. My pool is very much unprotected from those strong winter winds. I have a little pump to extract the antifreeze back into the jugs to reuse year after year.Attachment 33157
    HMM ok interesting idea.... I think i might modify it though. I'm thinking of getting a 50' backwash hose, a few fittings, and fill it with just water. As long as I don't over fill it the water should be able to freeze and expand without bursting the hose. Once filled I'll zip tie the hose in a few places to keep the water from moving around inside the hose, and tie it to pool cover tensioning wire to keep it from moving around. I bet it'll be a lot cheaper than spa hose and antifreeze, and a lot easier to store in the summer.
    27' AG Round (~17000 Gallons or 64000 L)
    Hayward 1.5 HP Power Flo Matrix Pump (2 speed usually run 6hrs high 18hrs low)
    Hayward CC150CAN XStream Cartridge Filter (150 ft^2 120 GPM)
    Hayward AquaTrol SWG
    Installed April 2012

  6. Back To Top    #6

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sheboygan Falls, WI
    Posts
    5

    Re: Wind under winter cover. Help?

    Quote Originally Posted by da_guy2 View Post
    HMM ok interesting idea.... I think i might modify it though. I'm thinking of getting a 50' backwash hose, a few fittings, and fill it with just water. As long as I don't over fill it the water should be able to freeze and expand without bursting the hose. Once filled I'll zip tie the hose in a few places to keep the water from moving around inside the hose, and tie it to pool cover tensioning wire to keep it from moving around. I bet it'll be a lot cheaper than spa hose and antifreeze, and a lot easier to store in the summer.
    That might work...if you try it, please let me know how that works out. To note on your concerns...mIne actually coils up to less than a four foot diameter coil and I simply hang it on the garage wall during the offseason. The main benefit of the spa hose is the weight factor. The weight of the hose plus the antifreeze is what helps keep the cover from flapping around.
    Swim'n Play Above Ground 24' x 52" Islamorada
    Hayward Sand Filter w/ Power-Flo Matrix® 1-1/2 2 spd Pump
    Hayward AquaTrol SWG
    Hayward Aqua Solar Pool Control
    Maytronics SOLARA (2) 2’ x 4’ Solar Pool Heater Panels

  7. Back To Top    #7

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    52

    Re: Wind under winter cover. Help?

    SASOakMan I cannot open your attachment, is it possible for you to post a picture of this? Thanks
    June 2013 24 x 52 Sharkline Heritage AGP (13,500 gal), 2 speed 1 hp pump, 150 lb filter(?), TF-100 test kit
    My first pool ever, pool school student with lots of questions

  8. Back To Top    #8

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    52

    Re: Wind under winter cover. Help?

    I can see it now, is spa hose the same thing that is advertised as flexible pvc?
    June 2013 24 x 52 Sharkline Heritage AGP (13,500 gal), 2 speed 1 hp pump, 150 lb filter(?), TF-100 test kit
    My first pool ever, pool school student with lots of questions

  9. Back To Top    #9

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sheboygan Falls, WI
    Posts
    5

    Re: Wind under winter cover. Help?

    Not sure. This was my second winter with this setup and it works flawless. No more flapping cover!

    Swim'n Play Above Ground 24' x 52" Islamorada
    Hayward Sand Filter w/ Power-Flo Matrix® 1-1/2 2 spd Pump
    Hayward AquaTrol SWG
    Hayward Aqua Solar Pool Control
    Maytronics SOLARA (2) 2’ x 4’ Solar Pool Heater Panels

  10. Back To Top    #10

    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Ottawa/ON, Canada
    Posts
    36

    Re: Wind under winter cover. Help?

    In Ottawa wondering if you ended up going this route! Thanks!!
    12'x24' Aqualeader Sentinelle 54" deep AG (approx. 7000 gallons) with Jandy jxi 260,000 btu gas heater, Hayward Aquatrol salt system (SWG). nature 2 water purifier - to install next year since we started midseason. 1.5hp pump and 22.5" sand filter. Install July 2017. Testing with HTH test strips and at pool store. Still working out my chemical, pump, and heater schedule. Solar cover and reel not yet installed.

  11. Back To Top    #11

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Ottawa, On, Canada
    Posts
    32

    Re: Wind under winter cover. Help?

    Quote Originally Posted by HeidiP View Post
    In Ottawa wondering if you ended up going this route! Thanks!!
    No, unfortunately, it didn't work. The fitting for the backwash whose leaked and within a few days, most of the water was gone from the whose.
    That said I did find a different solution that's worked OK for the last couple years. I have a giant roll of polypropylene twine that I crisscross over the pool multiple times making a sort of a spiderweb of twine over the pool. It doesn't stop the wind from getting under the cover but it keeps the cover from flying up and whipping in the air (which is what damages the cover). I was given the twine so I don't know how much it actually costs but I can't imagine it's very expensive.
    27' AG Round (~17000 Gallons or 64000 L)
    Hayward 1.5 HP Power Flo Matrix Pump (2 speed usually run 6hrs high 18hrs low)
    Hayward CC150CAN XStream Cartridge Filter (150 ft^2 120 GPM)
    Hayward AquaTrol SWG
    Installed April 2012

  12. Back To Top    #12
    Teald024's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    835

    Re: Wind under winter cover. Help?

    putting water on top of the cover helps keep the cover weighed down and helps stop a lot of the flapping.

    I've seen a product similar to plastic cling wrap that you find in your kitchen. The idea is that it seals the top of the tarp and doesn't allow the wind to get under the cover. That coupled with the water on top is supposed to help. I will say that I've never tried this plastic wrap so I cant comment on it's effectiveness.
    Dave - Aqua Leader Elegance AGP 15'x30'x 54", 12k gallons, vinyl liner ... Hayward/SwimPro Voyager pump SW159412STL, 2hp, 2spd, Hayward/Voyager 175sf element filter SW175MDDVPAKS, Installed August 2016 ... Liquid Chlorine, Stenner, Woods 50015 timer ... TF-100 .... CYA/Chlorine Chart ... Recommended Levels ... Basic Care Schedule ... Extended-Test-Kit-Directions ... ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

  13. Back To Top    #13

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Ottawa, On, Canada
    Posts
    32

    Re: Wind under winter cover. Help?

    Quote Originally Posted by Teald024 View Post
    putting water on top of the cover helps keep the cover weighed down and helps stop a lot of the flapping.

    I've seen a product similar to plastic cling wrap that you find in your kitchen. The idea is that it seals the top of the tarp and doesn't allow the wind to get under the cover. That coupled with the water on top is supposed to help. I will say that I've never tried this plastic wrap so I cant comment on it's effectiveness.
    I've tried both and they don't work. The plastic wrap does nothing. Complete wast of time and money. The water on the cover works great if you strech the cover fairly taught, however up here where we get lots of snow you can't keep the cover taught or your pool will collapse uner the weight of the snow. Without the tension if there's enough wind (and it really dosn't take much) all the water gets pushed to one end of the pool and ends up doing nothing.
    27' AG Round (~17000 Gallons or 64000 L)
    Hayward 1.5 HP Power Flo Matrix Pump (2 speed usually run 6hrs high 18hrs low)
    Hayward CC150CAN XStream Cartridge Filter (150 ft^2 120 GPM)
    Hayward AquaTrol SWG
    Installed April 2012

  14. Back To Top    #14
    Teald024's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    835

    Re: Wind under winter cover. Help?

    Quote Originally Posted by da_guy2 View Post
    I've tried both and they don't work. The plastic wrap does nothing. Complete wast of time and money. The water on the cover works great if you strech the cover fairly taught, however up here where we get lots of snow you can't keep the cover taught or your pool will collapse uner the weight of the snow. Without the tension if there's enough wind (and it really dosn't take much) all the water gets pushed to one end of the pool and ends up doing nothing.
    Our pool is also in an open exposed area that gets a lot of wind. I used 2 pillows on my oval and didn't have the cover taught. There were a couple of times when the wind did blow the water to one end and allow the leading side to pillow up and blow around. Once the water froze, there were no issues. Allowing the cover to sit on the water removes the concern of collapsing the walls with rain, snow, ice buildup. then the weight will help keep it down and not blow around as much.

    I had thought of tying ropes across the top to try to stop the cover from blowing around. In the end I decided it wasn't worth the effort. I was trying to fix something that wasn't really an issue (to me anyway).
    Dave - Aqua Leader Elegance AGP 15'x30'x 54", 12k gallons, vinyl liner ... Hayward/SwimPro Voyager pump SW159412STL, 2hp, 2spd, Hayward/Voyager 175sf element filter SW175MDDVPAKS, Installed August 2016 ... Liquid Chlorine, Stenner, Woods 50015 timer ... TF-100 .... CYA/Chlorine Chart ... Recommended Levels ... Basic Care Schedule ... Extended-Test-Kit-Directions ... ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

  15. Back To Top    #15

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    32

    Re: Wind under winter cover. Help?

    I've also had the best success with putting ropes across and over the top of the cover, similar to a spider web type pattern. It seems to help a lot with keeping the wind from getting under the cover and pushing it up. The only problem I had was at the point where ropes cross over the side wall and down the side it tends to wear a rubbing spot on the cover. I would recommend putting some type of padding in that area to prevent it from rubbbing through the cover.

    25,000 gallon, 33'x54" Round AG Sharkline Matrix, 26" sand filter, 2 speed, 1 hp Pentair optiflo pump

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •