Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 120v spa blower motor - accidentally booked up to 240

1. Back To Top    #1

120v spa blower motor - accidentally booked up to 240

I just replaced the spa pack on my hot tub but missed changing the voltage on the blower from 240 to 120. I did turn it on while on 240. I've since fixed it but now the blower motor isn't working. It is a max air blower from air supply of the future. Am I in for a new motor or is it more likely that I just fried the start capacitor?
    16' wide ~20,000gal IG vinyl lazy L shape pool circa 2002, 1hp Hayward Super Pump, Hayward S244T sand filter, Hayward H250ED2 gas heater, Hayward eVac Pro robot, Stenner pump for chlorine, TF-100 test kit
    2008 Gulf Coast 864 LEi hot tub

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 120v spa blower motor - accidentally booked up to 240

I asked my husband, who is an expert on motors, transformers, and electrical stuff in general.

His reply was that if the power was on for a minute or more (ballpark, of course), chances are good that the motor windings are toast -- the insulation on the wire gets too hot and starts to disintegrate. It shouldn't be too hard to open the unit up enough to look at the windings -- if you see blackened areas and crumbling insulation that would tell you something. I've found that your nose can also help guide you to areas of damage after an event like this (burnt electrical components stink).

Shorter exposure to 240 might have first hit support components, such as a starting capacitor, if there is one in this device. DH said that fan motors often don't have a starting cap, but that a blower that bubbles air through water might. His opinion was that it is "very easy" to take out the cap and test its health with a meter. Perhaps not quite so trivially easy if you've never done this procedure before, I would guess.

In any case, probably worth your while to look inside, if you haven't done so yet.
    18' x 48" ring top pool (Summer Escapes); 5500 gallons; set up June - October, stored during winter; Intex 2500 gph pump (B size cartridge filter) Hayward 21" sand filter + 1.5 hp single speed Powerflo Matrix pump (upgrade October 2016) *** K-2006 test kit, refills from tftestkits

3. Back To Top    #3

Did it trip the breaker when you turned in on? It should have and should have protected the windings. That may also be why it is not turning on now.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Ah, the obvious first step -- the "is it plugged in?" question

Forgot about that.
    18' x 48" ring top pool (Summer Escapes); 5500 gallons; set up June - October, stored during winter; Intex 2500 gph pump (B size cartridge filter) Hayward 21" sand filter + 1.5 hp single speed Powerflo Matrix pump (upgrade October 2016) *** K-2006 test kit, refills from tftestkits

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the detailed responses. It didn't trip the breaker and doesn't smell toasty and I can still hear the relay click but it isn't working. I unhooked it and I think I'm just going to leave it out for the time being.
    16' wide ~20,000gal IG vinyl lazy L shape pool circa 2002, 1hp Hayward Super Pump, Hayward S244T sand filter, Hayward H250ED2 gas heater, Hayward eVac Pro robot, Stenner pump for chlorine, TF-100 test kit
    2008 Gulf Coast 864 LEi hot tub