Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SLAM after toddler accident

1. Back To Top    #1

SLAM after toddler accident

I currently have a pool service which I will be canceling at the end of the month. I received my TF-100 on Thursday and tested. Not sure how accurate it is but here were my results on Thursday (day before pool service):
    FC 8.5
    CC 0
    PH 7.5
    TA 70
    CH 200
    CYA 35ish I think

Overall I thought things looked pretty good. I Haven't tested until tonight after my 2 year old had an accident (a common problem these days).
    Results:
    FC 20
    CC 1

Correct me if I'm wrong....So I confirmed why I want to take over the pool. CF levels are way to high for normal use. I assume because they dump way to much chlorine to get through the whole week without levels dropping to low.

My question is: my pool is already above SLAM levels, which should be 16, correct? Should I just keep the Chlorine at SLAM levels until tomorrow eve and then do an overnight loss test?

Thank you for any advice in advance. I'm so glad I stumbled across this forum. I will get more detailed in my signature when I have some extra time. for now 15 x 30 pool 6ft in deep end with 8ft half circle spa pouring into pool, DE filter, heat pump. Treasure coast, FL

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SLAM after toddler accident

With a CC of 1 I doubt you'll pass the OCLT but yes, you could give it a try. If your CYA is reading between 30 and 40, assume it's 40 and base your SLAM FC level on that, which you're doing correctly using 16 FC as your target for SLAM. Dose it to keep it at 16 as much as possible until you pass all 3 criteria.

#1 accidents aren't too bad. #2 accidents really aren't too bad either provided you know what happened and can... ahem... address the situation.

And welcome to TFP!
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

SLAM level for the pool with CYA of 35 is roughyl 14. It is safe to swim up to SLAM level for you CYA. Welcome to the forum. Your plan sounds good.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the info. I tested again this am: FC 18.5 CC 0 then tested again this pm (24hrs after incident) and got the same results: 18.5 CC 0. am I doing something wrong? shouldn't the FC have dropped throughout the day?

5. Back To Top    #5

SLAM after toddler accident

You would think it would have dropped some. What was the weather like there today, cloudy, sunny ? Is the pool covered ?
    Maybe take another test to see what ya get. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

partly sunny, screen enclosure, not covered. I'll test in the am, see what I get. It was getting dark when I tested, maybe that was the problem? maybe our pool guy is sneaking over here during the day.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Reasonably common for that to be a testing error

It is usually because the end point of the test is not understood.

You count drops until the last drop you put in the sample makes absolutely no further color change....none. Then you subtract that drop from your total and that is the accurate end of the test..
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

FC 17 CC .5 late morning. Must have just been a testing error. At this rate it will be several days just to get back down to normal. I know conditions can vary a lot. But what's an average FC loss over a hot sunny day?

9. Back To Top    #9

The FC loss is a % based on your CYA level and sun exposure. Given that you are screened in, the FC is going to drop more slowly ... although you are seeing a very slow drop.

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

What is your volume? How much chlorine did you add that resulted in the large overshoot? Nevermind, I read your post more closely ... yeah sounds like you have the typical FC roller coaster that pool companies use since they visit so rarely. Your water will be much nicer when you take over.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!