The new pool arrives tomorrow

What if we just poured a footer all around the outside of the pool where all the legs would be, do you think that would do the trick ?

That could work, although I think that would be a lot of extra work, digging the footer and added expense of the concrete.
Maybe a concrete pad at each leg. The pad would have to be at least 4 inches thick with a couple of inches of stone for the concrete to be poured on or you run the risk of it cracking.
The pavers will work they just have to sit on something that is compacted and won't settle. You could use two pavers set on top of each other, buried and flush with the ground. That may work also. ?

You don't need a footer, meaning something poured below the frost line. You just need a small slab poured around the pool perimeter. They would put steel in the slab and it wouldn't crack. Pavers are not really very strong and can crack easily. If you use wood you should be all set. I think that 1" plywood is enough.

I just looked at the Intex installation instructions. It says to use pressure treated wood under the legs or a steel plate or reinforced tiles. I do not think that concrete pavers are reinforced. I am surprised that so many people recommend using concrete pavers on this site. Must be a case of tribal knowledge.

So here's my question what is considered a reinforced tile a where would I find them . I was really thinking about just going with my first idea of a 5" thick reinforced with re-bar concrete slab and that way I know that the pool is not going anywhere and it will be nice and level ? because when we had the pool up it was not more than a 1/2" off from one end to the other which I thought was really good :scratch:

You could probably find the tiles at HD, lowes.
I honestly think your best bet is the pressure treated wood. Thickest plywood you can get.
The concrete slab is going to need to be reinforced also with a wire mesh to avoid cracking. ?

Ok so I got the leveling just about done I was told to use compression sand . We compacted it real tight and i went out and bought 16"x16" pavers and extruded polystyrene 4x8 sheets also the Gorilla pad. My question is do I put down the ground cloth first then the sheets of styrene and then the gorilla pad or gorilla pad first and ground cloth last anyone?

Thanks
Yachtnutz
Going back to this step, which hasn't been described or examined in any detail -- could you describe what you did to level the site before adding sand? In other words, did you remove dirt, and, if so, how much? Did you fill in low spots (often a cause of trouble, since filled-in areas will settle)? And, how thick a layer of sand did you use?

Ok the first thing they did was bring in a Bobcat and removed about 3" of dirt . Then they brought in about 4 Yards of Compression sand used a Jumping Jack and tapped the sand till it felt like concrete then add 2"x 8"along the Fence side where the ground was sloped, then added 2"x6" on the front side because the yard slopes toward the front of the house, got all that put down made the area nice and level, installed the Pavers then we put down the 4'x8' polystyrene boards then laid the Gorilla pad then laid out the ground cloth that came with the pool . We then put the pool liner down and left it out in the hot sun . Put the pool up made sure everything was right, filled it . Everything looked real nice and level so we thought then we swam for two days woke up Monday and saw we now had a semi AGP ?

I have never heard of compression sand. Sand is recommended for regular above ground pools but not for Intex pools. That also seems like a lot of sand, four yards will be over 2" thick of sand everywhere. You should not need any sand especially with the use of the foam board.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Select an outdoor location for the pool with the following in requirements
mind:
1. The area where the pool is to be set up must be absolutely flat and level. Do not set
up the pool on a slope or inclined surface.
2. The ground surface must be compacted and firm enough to withstand the pressure and
weight of a fully set up pool. Do Not set up the pool on mud, sand, soft or loose soil
conditions.
3. Do Not set up the pool on a deck, balcony or platform.
4. The pool requires at least 5 - 6 feet (1.5 - 2.0 m) of space all around pool from objects
that a child could climb on to gain access to the pool.
5. The chlorinated poolwater could damage the surrounding vegetation. Certain types of
grass such as St. Augustine and Bermuda, may grow through the liner. Grass growing
through the liner it is not a manufacture defect and is not covered under warranty.
6. If the ground is not concrete (i.e., if it is asphalt, lawn or earth) you must place a piece
of pressure-treated wood, size 15” x 15” x 1.2” (38 x 38 x 3cm), under each U-shaped
support and flush with the ground. Alternatively you may use steel pads or reinforced
tiles.
7. Consult your local pool supply retailer for advice on support pads.

If you follow the Intex directions you should be all set.

Ok got the pool drained and going to take it down and I will find out which is the best solution for my problem. I can tell one thing I will never get sand no matter what type because this is a Pain in the A%$. I will not be doing this again I told the wife no more this is the last time !!!!!

I've had enough with trying to guess what's best so we had a 35'x19' concrete slab reinforced with rebar poured Yesterday. Now we just have to wait till it set's up hopefully by next weekend. I guess we'll have to see. If this doesn't work I'm going to put a in ground pool in LOL

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.