Newly refurbished pool - Can I close or should I wait for acid demand to subside?

tdi_jim

LifeTime Supporter
May 18, 2013
Monmouth County New Jersey
Hi,

We just had our IG pool refurbished in July; Coping, Tile and Diamond Brite. My chemicals are in balance but I do find myself adding about 1 gallon of Muriatic acid per week (1 quart every 2 days) in an attempt to keep the PH at 7.5.

The latest test results (TF-100) are:

PH = 7.8
FC= 5.0
CC = 0.0
TC = 5.0
TA = 100
CYA = 60
CH = 500

The CH is somewhat worrisome, my testing with the TF-100 kit has produced readings btw 420 and 500. The company that did the renovation also provided 2 weeks of daily service after the start up and their CH tests ranged btw 390 and 420. The pool store (Anthony/Sylvan) tested yesterday and they got a 409.

I tested my tap/fill water today with the TF-100 and got a reading of 100.

Can I close in two weeks or do I need to wait till my acid demand levels off? I typically re-open early June.

Should testing be done throughout the winter?

Thanks,
jim

I would check with the contract and or contractor who did the work. I like to have the pH leveled out before I close my customers. But there are other company's who believe 1 month is ok.

We recommend closing after the water temp stays below 60 degrees and opening before it reaches 60 degrees ... that is not based on a calendar, that is based on your weather.

As the water gets cold, the pH will naturally rise. If you are closed down completely, then there is not much you can actually do over the winter anyway.

Jacob, Jason:

Thanks for the replies. I spoke to the folks who will be closing the pool and they said that closing on the Sept 22nd would be fine, and that prior to closing I should look to have my TA at 120 and the PH at 7.2.

They also offer a monthly service (Oct-Mar) where they haul in a large pump, balance if necessary and allow the water to circulate for a few hours. They mentioned that I could do this myself with a smaller cover-type pump and a long hose, but would need to keep the pump running for a few days if I had to add acid.

Not sure if I am going to do the monthly check, I have never done it in the past 20 years and only had a small amount of scaling in the attached spa once upon opening.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.