Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cartridge filter observations

1. Back To Top    #1

Cartridge filter observations

I opened our cartridge filter for the first time since the install and start up 3 months ago. Does the one on the left look normal, too dirty or could I have gone longer. I run the aquabot cleaner once to twice a week depending on weather and pool use. But I am happy to say we have had a nice clean pool all summer long.

18x36 Vinyl, sports depth, 8' Roman steps at each end. Hayward 1.5hp 2speed pump, catridge filter, 2 skimmers, no main drain, 3 SR Smith Treo LED lights

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Cartridge filter observations

Just depends on what amount of dirt and debris you get. But for 3 months, looks pretty normal.
    Jacob Zaluski, Owner
    True Blue Pools LLC. Lexington, KY
    Service Center for Hayward Pool Products

3. Back To Top    #3

You should only need to clean the filter when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure. That could be 3 months, or 12 months, or 1 week depending on your pool cleanliness and chemistry.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

With an oversized cartridge filter, is it a certainty that pressure will rise that much as a guaranteed indicator of when it is time to change/clean filter? I am asking because I have never seen a pressure rise on the gauge at the filter in my 13 months with a new pool, but I thought that I saw evidence of poor filtration after a ton of pollen and seed husks from overhanging trees clogged up my filters. So I changed/cleaned anyway. Is it possible that you won't get a measurable rise on the filter pressure gauge? I am asking because I just don't know when I should be alert to the need to change/clean the cartridges.
    19' x 37' Freeform IG; 25,500 gallons; max depth 8'6" with diving board; sun bench and swim out shelf. PebbleSheen Blue Granite Finish; Noble Tile--NVSA616 Peacock; Sandstone Retaining Wall; Oklahoma Flagstone Coping, Aggregate Deck; Small Water Feature w/ Moss Rock (70% flats and 30% boulders) Jandy Stealth 2HP Pump and CV460 Filter; AquaCal SQ156 Heat Pump/Chiller; Polaris 380 pressure cleaner w/ Halcyon boost pump.

5. Back To Top    #5

Dirt can not bypass the filter unless you have a problem. As the filter gets dirty, the flow rate should be reduced and the pressure must go up.

That said, if you have low debris load and an over-sized filter, it is certainly possible to go over a year without a large pressure rise. I would suggest a yearly cleaning even if the pressure has not gone up.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

My pressure gauge doesn't move at all unless I close off all the returns except for the deck jets.

18x36 Vinyl, sports depth, 8' Roman steps at each end. Hayward 1.5hp 2speed pump, catridge filter, 2 skimmers, no main drain, 3 SR Smith Treo LED lights

7. Back To Top    #7

On low speed you may not be able to discern a difference in pressure. So make sure you do the pressure checks on high speed with the same valve settings.

If the pressure is not going up, the flow must not really be reduced and there is no reason to clean it yet, unless you want to ... or if has been a year
    Jason, TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

It seems so easy to clean I will probably stick with every couple of months unless I notice a pressure change. I think a majority this time was from the install and construction around the pool.

9. Back To Top    #9

My pressure never goes up very much. I clean them once a year whether they need it or not (which they don't)
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

10. Back To Top    #10

I finally took the time to see why my 2 speed pump was only running 1 speed no matter what I set. I am amazed it was working at all the way it was wired but I got it corrected once Hayward sent the correct schematic. I now get a pressure reading around 9 in high speed with all the valves open.
    I have been running on low speed for 9 hours a day broken up into 4 2:15 run times with 45% swg. Any ideas how it should be broken up now? The controller allows 2 high speed time intervals and 2 low speed intervals.

11. Back To Top    #11

Determine Pump Run Time

Trial and error to keep your pool looking clean enough for you. Likely can get buy with less run time, especially as the weather cools.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

How does high versus low speed affect swg percentage?

13. Back To Top    #13

As long as low speed is enough flow to keep the SWG generating, then the motor speed has no impact on the amount of FC output.

The % is just the % of time in a given cycle (1 to 2 hours for many SWGs) that it is generating vs not generating.

My SWG runs fine on low ... until the filter gets too dirty and the flow rate drops.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

14. Back To Top    #14

Mine apparently has worked fine on low for a while now, I didn't know that since the high speed would push more water through during a given time interval if it would then produce more FC or not

15. Back To Top    #15

Nope. Output FC level is the same regardless of flow rate ... assuming the minimum flow rate is met.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

16. Back To Top    #16

Great, thanks

17. Back To Top    #17

I clean my filter every 4 weeks regardless of condition. That's just a habit I got into because of my preventative maint nature at work. It's easier for me to it that way than to wait for trouble.
    Regarding pressure readings, because I run my VS at 1200 RPM the gauge never registers at all. If I run my pump at considerable higher RPM's then I see pressure. My system is quite happy a 1200 RPM.
    This is first year with a pool, we have had zero issues as far a keep up with the FC demand or any thing else. Crystal clear water all summer thanks to the good people on this forum.
    12 x 26 Viking FG IG, Bermuda Model, 3 1/2' to 5', 7000 Gallons, Diamond Series Maya, Hayward 1 1/2 HP Maxflo VS, Hayward Stay Clear Plus Cart Filter C17502(S), Hayward Aqua Rite SWG w/T3 cell, Color Changing FIBERSTAR Lighting, Aqua Bot Supreme Robotic cleaner, Brushed Concrete with CCI Liberty Tan color, Taylor K-2006 test kit, Armor Foundation penetrating concrete sealer(lifetime warranty).