Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Time for a new Filtration System...

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Time for a new Filtration System...

Our old cartridge system is a Jacuzzi TriClops, and it's seen better days, so I've decided to replace it this off-season. In doing some research I'm thinking about buying a new DE filter and using the Fiber Clear media.

The pool is 24,000 gallon underground with a new vinyl liner. The existing pump is a single speed 1.5HP Jacuzzi, and it works fine. The automatic chlorinator and heater (Hayward 220,000 BTU LP) are both pretty new and work fine as well.

So my questions are:
    1.) It seems that any DE filter will work with Fiber Clear. Is there a difference between the models? Anyone have a recommendation?

2.) It seems like buying a larger filter will elongate the time between maintenance cycles. Is this true? If so, is there any downside to buying "too big"?

3.) Breaking down the DE filter & deep cleaning looks like a couple hour job. Is there one brand/model that is easier than the others?

4.) Would a sand filter, with Fiber Clear media, be just as effective as the DE filter? Sand filters look like they are a lot cheaper.

5.) Although my pump is fine, I'm wondering if a 2 speed or VS pump will save me enough in electricity to justify replacing it.

Thanks,
    Sam

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Time for a new Filtration System...

Welcome to TFP!!!

I assume you have already read the filter comparison: http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...ter-comparison

1) Any would work fine with the fiber. There are 3 styles of DE filter. Most common is airfoil grids, Pentair makes large ones with cartridges, and then there are bump-style (where you backwash less often, but I think they are smaller)

2) You just need to be sure your pump is strong enough to backwash properly ... not usually a problem.

3) It should not take more than an hour and you should only need to do it once a year at most.

4) A sand filter by itself will maintain a clear pool ... assume you maintain the chemistry properly.

5) I would certainly recommend upgrading to a 2-speed. You could replace just the motor on your existing pump.

BTW, we do not typically recommend the exclusive use of trichlor tablets.

Have you discovered our Pool School yet? Start with these:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the info and advice.
    Sam
    2001 Built - 24k gal. IG w/new vinyl liner. Jacuzzi TriClops Cartridge Filter w/ 1.5HP MagnumForce Pump (single speed).
    Added a 250k BTU Hayward Heater (LP) in 2010, AquaBot II

4. Back To Top    #4

Jason,
    I went to the Pentair website and was looking through their collection of DE filtration systems http://www.pentairpool.com/subsectio...ters-de-24.htm.
    I can't figure out the differences between the various lines. After a bunch of reading I think the "grid" style seems like a better idea than the one with the fingers. Any idea which is which? Also, any help on sizing for a 24k pool?
    2001 Built - 24k gal. IG w/new vinyl liner. Jacuzzi TriClops Cartridge Filter w/ 1.5HP MagnumForce Pump (single speed).
    Added a 250k BTU Hayward Heater (LP) in 2010, AquaBot II