Best cover for above ground pool - 18 Round - Suggestions please.

Jun 19, 2012
Long Island, NY
Hi all,

Looking for the best cover (since there are 9000 options) for my new Matrix above ground pool (18 round). Pics below and also a link to my install thread with more pics :)

There are so many options not to sure what to go with? Suggestions welcome along with if I need a pillow in the middle and any other accessories?

Install thread: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/77487-Above-ground-pool-install/

Some recent pics:

uCiGP71l.jpg

6RBESTal.jpg

IZtQR2al.jpg

Thank you!

No I don't. The cover is somewhat tight and it sits on top of the water. I only drain to the bottom of my skimmer. I use an aquador over my skimmer opening. If need be I just drain more water out of the pool. ?

I am in Northern NJ - I use a sold cover and a pillow on my pool (27' ABG)

I keep the water level just at the bottom of the skimmer. I keep the cover as water free as I can. It is pretty easy if you just siphon it off as it rains. Keeping the cover dry also lets the leaves blow off. The pillow in the middle makes getting any rain water off easier. I have one end of a hose zip tied to two pound weight. I stick that on the cover and start a siphon. Then I use my pool brush to move the water around pillow to the well created by the weight.

Once it snows / freezes clearly I cannot siphon anymore, but if it thaws, or I can punch a hole in the ice, I will remove whatever water I can.

-dave

What happens when your water freezes in PA? Then water drains in the pool? I was thinking of leaving the return off so it can auto drain?

Whatever snow ice is on cover it just drains into pool when it melts. I've had to drain some water from pool a couple times to keep the level down. In the two seasons I've had the pool I've never had to add any water to it. ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I drain my pool 6 inches below the return. The first two winters I used a solid cover with a pillow in the middle. Next two winters I used the solid cover and no pillow. Each year we had to use a hose to siphon the water off as snow melted. Last year I bought the ultimate winter cover with the mesh strip down the middle. We have a 4ft wide walk around deck, so we drilled holes in the ends of the deck boards and hooked the straps that way. It worked very well. We did not have to worry about water on the cover. A bonus was that by spring, the water level was up to the bottom of the skimmer and we didn't need to add much water to get the pump going in the spring.
original.jpg

I went with the ultimate pool cover. But since I have the matrix with resin I'm not drilling those anchors on the uprights. So I found swing set screw in anchors in amazon. Bought 3 sets of them on sale, 4 anchors per box. Way cheaper then buying the screw in anchors separately They screw into the ground and figured this could be perfect. I'll take picks tomorrow once the cover is on.
f59fbd37147317693046f59a49d2a0fb.jpg
af52edb7076d47f53ec1ec33d41bb6c7.jpg

Sent from my LG-VS980

Looks good; clever use of the swingset anchors! Please post again on how it works out over the winter.

Regarding the black straps in your pictures, we purchased some very similar looking ones from the local hardware store last fall -- used them as replacement for the elastic keeper cord on the tire chains for our pickup truck. The black material deteriorated rapidly from outdoor exposure during the winter, and, by springtime, the material cracked all the way through on one tire. No knowing whether you will have a similar problem, but the condition of the black elastic straps may be something to keep an eye on over the course of the winter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.