Yellow in the sight glass

Diver

May 5, 2011
South of Boston
I haven't had a need to back wash my DE filter for over 2 months now and the sight glass on the multi-port grew all kinds of different things in there. It does have some distinct yellow spots:

mustard.jpg

So, I'm curious if this shows that the area that I'm in have some mustard algae spores around? The pool is all good, it's just the sight glass.

Yuck! I'd say you just have a algae bloom in the isolated vessel on the valve. Algae spores are everywhere and when that small vessel ran out of chlorine, somehow enough of the spores survived and went nuts. Whether it's mustard algae or not... hard to tell and I'm no botanist.

The waste line appears to be holding water. It might be a good idea to remove the sight glass after backwashing to allow the line to drain. Alternatively, you could install an inexpensive vacuum breaker to allow the line to drain. Example: The Oatey 1.5" cheater vent (Model 39012) would work.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.