Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Salt Pool and Solar Bubble Blankets

1. Back To Top    #1

Salt Pool and Solar Bubble Blankets

before I new better I was sold on Solar Sun Rings last season when I had my pool built.Now they are a pain.I went with them under the impression the SWG pools deteriorate the bubble covers quicker.Is there any truth to this.I would like to here from other SWG pool owners on how they cover their pools.I run a heat pump to extent my season and would like to go with a different cover.Thank you TFP in advance.
    10,500 gal Gunite,Imperial White River Rok,1.5hp Pentair Whisperflo,320sqft Clean & Clear,Intellichlor 40 SWG,EasyTouch w/Remote,Pentair Pool Shark Sweep(suction side),Jandy AE2000 Heat Pump & 8mil Solar Blanket,SAM Light,18in Caribean Shelf,6 & 4 ft Benches

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Indiana

Re: Salt Pool and Solar Bubble Blankets

I can't think of any reason a salt pool would deteriorate a cover faster. The chemistry in the water is the same, and since you almost never need to shock a salt pool, it would seem to be easier on the cover.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Have a clear solar cover, SWG AutoPilot Digital, Salt at 3500-3600, FC at 5, ph at 7.5, Alk at 80, Calcium at 475, CyA at 30, temp averages 82-86 summer, 78-84 winter, plus we have a very high UV index compared to most locations, with no problems with the cover.

Ah, forgot to mention. The reel is a different issue. The bolts get rusty, presumably they are not marine grade. One can overcome this by using by using Corrosion Block (used on Aircraft) from and then winding waterproof electrical tape over them, not very elegant but solves the problem.

Hope this helps.
    10,000 gal plaster pool,3/4 hp WhisperFlo pump, Sta-Rite Great White GW9500 pool cleaner, Hayward 300 lb Sand Filter
    Use Magenta Stuff for Iron and Silica control.
    Balance: pH 7.7 Cl 7 -8 Alk 70-80 CH 325 CyA 30 in winter - 50 in summer NaCl 1010 TDS 1200

4. Back To Top    #4
    Pleasanton, CA

The only downside with a salt pool is that the cover starts to get a film of salt on the top unless you wash it off periodically. Also, any reel that you might use will start to collect salt if not cleaned frequently. Not much different than the deck which also collects salt if not cleaned. Part of the extra maintenance that comes with the SWG. Save some lose some.
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner