Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: do you need to shock a salt water pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

norfolk virginia

do you need to shock a salt water pool?

Please start your own thread to ask questions. This prevents hijacking, avoids confusion, and gives your question the attention it deserves. Butterfly

do you need to shock a saltwater pool?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Columbia, SC

Re: shock question

Quote Originally Posted by tredye View Post
    do you need to shock a saltwater pool?
    We ask that you start a new thread for your own questions so that folks do not get confused between different questions and answers. I'm sure a moderator will split this off into its own thread.

If you follow the methods taught here you should never need to shock a pool no matter what it's source of chlorine. Weekly shocking of pools is something that are recommended by retail pool stores who are in the business of selling you shock. Funny how that works.

Trouble free Pool Care is based on only adding what you pool needs, when it needs it.

A "salt" pool is really a chlorine pool that receives a continuous dosing of chlorine produced by a Salt Water Chlorine Generator (SWCG).

We have a great resource her called Pool School I would recomend you start with these readings.:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool

So, welcome to TFP!!
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon