Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Anybody ever leave the solar cover on for the winter?

1. Back To Top    #1

Anybody ever leave the solar cover on for the winter?

We live in Colorado and the air is very dry. We use a winter cover however have had issues with the pool draining to just 12" due to evaporation. We open to crystal clear water every year and were wondering if anyone, in freezing country, has ever left the solar cover on under the winter cover?
    Shelley
    Denver, CO

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Anybody ever leave the solar cover on for the winter?

I doubt that the solar cover would fair very well in cold temperatures. Any bubbles that got water inside them would probably break when the water froze and expanded.

Can't you just put a solid (ie. not mesh) cover on? It should help with evaporation to some extent.
    16 x 32 17500 gallons
    Vinyl in-ground
    Hayward 250# Sand Filter
    1 HP Pump
    Hayward SWG

3. Back To Top    #3

What kind of pool and cover do you have? I have to drain my pool several times over the winter to get rid of excess water. Seems like snow/rain would add plenty of water most places.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

We've used solid, solid with draining (which I really like but doesn't help), and last year nothing. All result in draining the pool down to practically nothing. Not sure which costs more, filling the pool entirely, or getting a new solar cover....
    Shelley
    Denver, CO

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

I'm surprised it would be evaporating through a solid cover. Are you sure you don't have a leak?
    Jacob Zaluski, Owner
    True Blue Pools LLC. Lexington, KY
    Service Center for Hayward Pool Products

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by uncfan1573 View Post
    I'm surprised it would be evaporating through a solid cover. Are you sure you don't have a leak?
    That's what I'm thinking if it's a solid cover. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
    What kind of pool and cover do you have? I have to drain my pool several times over the winter to get rid of excess water. Seems like snow/rain would add plenty of water most places.
    That seems strange to me also, I drain my pool below return level and still have to empty it during the winter multiple times as it fills up with rain and snow water.
    Free Form Gunite Saltwater Pool, 29,000 Gallons, Jandy DEL60 Filter, Jandy AquaPure 1400 Chlorinator, Polaris 380 Cleaner, Attached HotTub.

8. Back To Top    #8

Everyone is forgetting our annual precipitation for rain and snow together here is 17.3 inches. Well, this experiment has done the trick. The pool has remained full. Won't know the condition of the solar cover left on until the spring. There was some plastic smell in the fall on the first few warm days underneath the solid winter cover, but I'm not sure what it was.
    Shelley
    Denver, CO

9. Back To Top    #9

Took the winter cover off on Sunday to find a full to the gunnells pool and a for the most part viable solar cover! The only differences in the 8 years prior, asside from it being full, was some clearish slime, and extremely low ph--below the lowest measurable amount. I'm on my 3rd box of Borax and it's only up to 6.5! Initailly added a 121oz jug of bleach, 2 hours later--no measurement, added another jug 8 hours later--no measurement, added 3/4 of a third and have been holding steady. Alk is 80, didn't test for calcium as it's a vinyl pool. Assuming the low PH hasn't caused any damage to the vinyl liner, I may do this every year.
    Shelley
    Denver, CO