Hayward off-line Chlorine Feeder CL 220 problem

CL 220 installed in 2009 and initially worked ok. This season, flow does not seem to change with control valve (CV) position. As suggested by Hayward Tech Service, I removed CV, lubricated two O-rings and replaced. However, this did not help. 3 pucks are almost gone (dissolved/eroded) in 2 days when CV is in Fully Closed position as well as in Fully Open position.

(The problem resulted in high CYA; so, have been using Cal Hypo granular chlorine.)

I'd be grateful for advise on a likely cause of the problem and how to fix it. Many thanks.

I too installed one of these about a year ago when I became a new pool owner and did not know much about this site. You will find the pucks you use in this chlorinator raise your CYA (and quickly) and are a pain in the rear end to use (i.e. Getting cover off). If you have a couple of hundred dollars to spend, install a Stenner pump and inject liquid chlorine. I just did this about a week ago and find it much better than the chlorinator you have. There are tons of threads on this site about these pumps and their installation.

The problem resulted in high CYA; so, have been using Cal Hypo granular chlorine.
In my opinion you don't want to fix it. The problem with the feeder didn't cause high CYA, use of the tabs did. Fixing it and using tabs will continue to drive up your CYA.

The problem you have now is that using the cal hypo is driving up your CH (calcium hardness).

You need to switch to a form of chlorine that does not add additional "stuff" (CYA or CH) to your water.

Your choices are:
liquid chlorine (manually added daily or automated)
Salt Water Chlorine Generator

How much Pool School have you read? Start with this:
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.