Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward off-line Chlorine Feeder CL 220 problem

1. Back To Top    #1

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Hayward off-line Chlorine Feeder CL 220 problem

CL 220 installed in 2009 and initially worked ok. This season, flow does not seem to change with control valve (CV) position. As suggested by Hayward Tech Service, I removed CV, lubricated two O-rings and replaced. However, this did not help. 3 pucks are almost gone (dissolved/eroded) in 2 days when CV is in Fully Closed position as well as in Fully Open position.

(The problem resulted in high CYA; so, have been using Cal Hypo granular chlorine.)

I'd be grateful for advise on a likely cause of the problem and how to fix it. Many thanks.
    21K gal, IG plaster new 2010, 3/4 HP Super Pump with 2-speed AO Smith motor w/integrated 2Green timer, sand filter S-244T2, solar heating with HM-4000D controller, Dolphin M400 pool cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

San Rafael, CA USA

Re: Hayward off-line Chlorine Feeder CL 220 problem

Welcome to TFP!

Perhaps bumping this thread will let someone see it who can help you (this isn't my area of expertise).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

Fort Worth, TX

I too installed one of these about a year ago when I became a new pool owner and did not know much about this site. You will find the pucks you use in this chlorinator raise your CYA (and quickly) and are a pain in the rear end to use (i.e. Getting cover off). If you have a couple of hundred dollars to spend, install a Stenner pump and inject liquid chlorine. I just did this about a week ago and find it much better than the chlorinator you have. There are tons of threads on this site about these pumps and their installation.
    30,000 plaster in-ground pool with spa; 2.5HP single speed Centurion pump; Raypak RP2100 propane heater; Polaris 280 with pump, waterfall with separate pump, Triton II commercial sand filter; TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir

4. Back To Top    #4
    Columbia, SC

Quote Originally Posted by Jaro View Post
    The problem resulted in high CYA; so, have been using Cal Hypo granular chlorine.
    In my opinion you don't want to fix it. The problem with the feeder didn't cause high CYA, use of the tabs did. Fixing it and using tabs will continue to drive up your CYA.

The problem you have now is that using the cal hypo is driving up your CH (calcium hardness).

You need to switch to a form of chlorine that does not add additional "stuff" (CYA or CH) to your water.

Your choices are:
    liquid chlorine (manually added daily or automated)
    Salt Water Chlorine Generator

How much Pool School have you read? Start with this:
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon