Above Ground Pool - sloping yard...drainage around pool...or retaining wall?

Sep 7, 2014
Honey Brook PA
IMG_0561.jpgWe just recently had an above ground pool installed here in Southeast Pennsylvania. Our backyard has a bit of slope to it where the 24' round pool has been installed. The pool company who installed did a great job of leveling and feather the slope away from the pool...but were confused on what/how to do next. This past week we have had quite a few server thunderstorms which dropped heavy rains two days in a row. We have already had dirt washing away on the slope and settling around the pool. We are not sure if we need to maybe just install some sort of drainage system around the pool...or have the slope taken out more so it is not so steep?..or do we need a retaining wall of some sort?

I will upload a few pics shortly that we have taken,, and you can hopefully see the slope, and the dirt that has already washed down so far.

Last edited:
You're going to need to address that drainage issue with a french drain. You have a lot of standing water that needs pulled away from the back of the pool.

Not too far from me either. The clay soil in SE PA is horrible. I have in IG pool but I actually had my PB put in french drains for my roof runoff for this exact reason. The dirt can take days to absorb the kind of rain we get from 1 bad thunderstorm. I second the french drain!

It's either the French drain or get some screenings and fill the area in up against the pool to get the water out of there, drain away from the pool. The screenings would work great and they compact well with a hand tamper. Then you could put decorative stone around to dress it up.
Just my 0.02 ?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.